• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

The effects of ferts on TDS - Osmotic shock?

JosVermeulen

I've been wondering something and I've talked about it with several people, but I couldn't find any scientific paper on the subject. Wouldn't dosing ferts combined with water changes cause changes in TDS and hence cause osmotic shock(s) which are harmful to fish?

Hugo_Abreu

For what I know, only harms the fish if the change in TDS is very big. And in some species, only in one way. For example, some fish from small streams of water in South America (some Apistogramma, for example) are adapted to fast changes from hard to very soft water. Why? Because when the rainy season starts, the rain water is so much (and has 0 TDS and a pH of about 5) that the stream water goes from (imagine) 100 ppm to 50ppm in minutes. Hope it was clear and helpful. If I'm saying something wrong, please correct me.
But I suppose it could cause that osmotic shock...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….