• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Teleogramma brichardi

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
I have two pairs of T. brichardi in two separate tanks. They get along just fine, but so far I've failed miserably getting them to spawn. (Well, at least I never got to see any fry.) I know that some forum members have spawned them before (Jeff, Ted, Steve, and probably others). I was wondering if you have any pointers as to what is needed to get them going (tank size, water, substrate, diet, temperature etc etc.)? Thanks

Janos

freshwaterfishfan

5 Year Member
Janos,

My problem was finding a compatible pair. Once I got that, I gave them a 40G alone with tons of drift wood and some plants and pretty much ignored them and next thing I knew there were youngsters scooting around the bottom. I've never had luck taking the fry away from the parents - so I've let them raise them up. I would only get 2-3 per spawn to grow up but they were healthy looking.
I think they like really acidic water because mine really only spawned in tea colored water that I did 30%/month (so the pH really drifted downwards). I did not have a lot of flow in my tanks, though I heard they like that.
Steve

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree with the compatible pair comment. I never saw a correlation with water chemistry with spawning frequency or success. I kept my pairs in 40Br with sand and a large flat slate sitting on a few smaller pebbles. Lots of cover over that. The pair would excavate under the slate and spawn there. I had another pair that spawned in a flat pot also under a pile of stuff, but the pairs with the slate set up spawned more often and had larger broods.

I think that there is a ph and/or temperature influence on sex ratio. Both Jeff and I experienced skewed ratios.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Slate/shale piles have been the prefered spawning sites for my pairs of Teleogramma. Every once and a while a coconut cave was used though.

Normal spawn size ranged from the low 20's to the upper 30's with the occational larger or smaller spawn.

The first several times I had spawns the pH was in the 6.0-6.3 range and I got an almost dead even split on sex. More recently the pH has bee in the 6.8-7.0 range and the outcome has been male heavy offspring.

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Thanks guys. One of my pairs bonded pretty well (with the female displaying the "classical" red belly), while the other pair tolerate each other. I might move the bonded pair to a larger tank, add more decoration and wood than in the current set-up, and try to keep the pH to 6.5 or lower.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….