• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

tankmates for cockatoo

ste1982

5 Year Member
i was just wondering if male endlers are ok as tankmates for the cockatoo cichlids, i only ask coz i have a breeding colony but nowhere to put the males so the females can rest so thought if its possible i would move the males in with the cockatoos

nc_nutcase

5 Year Member
I kept a breeding Colony of Endlers in with my Apistos for over a year without any problems. The Apistos ate most of the young that were born but never bothered the adults.

With no young to munch on some of the males may get picked off, but if your Endlers are anything like mine were they will replenish their numbers very quickly.

Sil

5 Year Member
The Apistos ate most of the young that were born but never bothered the adults.
IMHO the main problem connected with keeping endlers with apistos is their rather intensive metabolism. That's probably why Mike asked about tank dimensions. In a small tank with considerable amount of endlers there could be problems with organic waste and nitrogen compounds level should be systematically measured. But if the tank is big enough, with good filtration, every week water changes and the substrate vacuuming there's no problem to keep endlers with apistos.

Spyder

5 Year Member
I have Endlers breeding in a 40 with Blue Rams without incidents. I also have Endlers breeding in my 300 with a Cockatoos, Borellis, Ceateas, Blue Rams and Bolivian Rams without incidents, but it is 300 gallons.

ste1982

5 Year Member
the tank is 25gallons (36x15x12inches) it will only have males, females will be kept in the tank they are in now, i just want somewhere to put the males to give the girls a rest

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….