• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

tankmates for blue rams

B

brjames12

hey guys,
my pair of blue rams are the prettiest fish i've seen, but i want some smaller tankmates that would brighten up my tank even more. i'm thinking about some neon tetras, but i've read that they could become timid with larger fish around. i'd just like some small, colorful, bright fish that would be compatible with the rams. there's plenty of plants and ornaments in the tank that break up the territories, so any new fish could find a peaceful place. i've had a couple of dwarf guoramis in the tank, but they get beat up every time the rams mate because they always want to get in the way. any suggestions are appreciated. thanks 8)

Z Man

5 Year Member
Neon Tetras are nice but Cardinal Tetras are just as available. Differences: Neons have just 1/2 red stripe where Cardinals red goes the entire length of the body. (Much more colorful) Cardinals get 1/2" larger and are much easier to care for. For some reason everybody has Neons at one time or another and then asks why they can't keep them alive. Most Neons are still wild caught as they are very difficult to breed whereas Cardinals are a little easier.

B

brjames12

thanks for the suggestion Z Man. i just looked up the cardinal tetra and it's definitely a pretty fish. i don't think i've seen them in my pet stores, but if i saw them, i probably just thought they were neons. i'm gonna look into them though, thanks.

aspen

5 Year Member
my favourite of the tetras in that size is the glowlight. i've never had cardinals though, except for the bunch that didn't make it out of quarentine.

rick

Eva32181

5 Year Member
South American tetras make great tankmates for Rams, IMO. If you are trying to decide which tetras to go for, try http://www.fishprofiles.com for pictures. Click characins - it will give you a list of all kinds of tetras with pictures and info.

My current combination in my 55 gal is lemon tetras and neons. I think they contrast each other really well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….