• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tank Update and hardscape suggestions

fyrefish

Hey,
I STILL haven't gotten my tank up and running yet. The canister filter keeps leaking. I've already tried lubricant, and spare tap o rings. I'm ordering a new set of taps and a pumphead o ring (don't believe it's the pumphead, but just in case. Also, good to have spares.) However, if that doesn't work, I'm going to bite the bullet and get a new filter. I may get a internal filter if this happens, as they are smaller, cheaper and easier to maintain. The tank isn't actually so big its needs a canister, but it came with the tank so it was an added bonus (or so I thought).

Anyway, I've been looking at the tank for a while, and I think it needs more hardscape and hiding spots. I'm planning to nestle the artificial hide from their current tank somewhere in the back, but the tank feels empty. It will look a lot better when it's planted, but the single piece of wood isn't really doing it. I probably will get more small wood pieces and botanicals, but it needs something big. More river rock maybe? (I have created a 'wall' of smooth rock near the back, was going to put some val back there). Any suggestions?

Also, my apistos laid eggs again. I think they are probably going to eat them again, and the female still isn't going full guard mode, but it's good to see they are a breeding pair.

The wood is also starting to release more tannins, and it's kind of becoming blackwater. It's definitely not the full way (yet) but I love how it looks. It's hard to see the tint in the photo, so I put a picture with the clearwater tank next to it for contrast.

Attachments

• IMG20220220165123.jpg
    IMG20220220165123.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG20220220165440.jpg
    IMG20220220165440.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 114
  • IMG20220220161504.jpg
    IMG20220220161504.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 117

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomek B.

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….