• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tank size

yukondog

5 Year Member
Hopefully next week I should be getting my pair of cacs. in, I have 1 female already. After QT will a 30 tall be enough room for one male and two females to breed in or would it be best to keep the females separate and just use the male between the two tanks?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
30 Tall (24"Lx12Wx24H, 60cmx30x60H) or a 29 High (30"Lx12Wx18H, 75cmLx30Wx45H)? A 29H would work better, with more bottom area, but if properly laid out, a 30 Tall probably would work. Either has a lot of wasted water for breeding apistos.

yukondog

5 Year Member
I guess its a 29 tall, the footprint is 30"x12". I thought about all the wasted upper water but I have more 30 tall than anything else, been coming across more of the bigger tanks [free] and I rebuild them so I guess I cant complain. For the next month or so the new pair of cacatuoides will be in QT so I'll have enough time to get everything ready.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I guess its a 29 tall, the footprint is 30"x12". I thought about all the wasted upper water but I have more 30 tall than anything else.........
You don't ahve to fill the tank up, you can have emergent plants and planted wood extending above the waters surface.

cheers Darrel

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
There is nothing wrong using tall tanks so long as the bottom area is suitable. I meant it was a waste for the breeding apisos (i.e. the fish that are actually spawning) because they don't use it. Of course it is valuable in that it is a greater volume of water so it can handle more organics without being overwhelmed. In this case, "the solution to pollution is dilution".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….