• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tank mates for cockatoos

UncleMattysAquarium

Hi everyone!
I have 3 cockatoo fry (about an inch long right now, too soon to gender) and I just got two dwarf gouramis. They seem great together, which makes sense because they were kept in the same tank at my local fish store.
My next add is going to be a small school of shoaling/ schooling fish. I’m strongly considering either Cardinal Tetras, or Rummynose Tetras. Are both of those a suitable option? Or any ideas for a different fish. Something around the size of neons/cardinals.
Thanks for any input, it’s much appreciated!!
-Matt

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 131
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 132

Andy452

Most tetras are probably ok as tank mates in a community tank as long as you are not expecting to breed your apistos - community tanks are not good breeding tanks and the other fish usually eat the eggs.
Cardinal and rummy nose are both nice looking tetras IMO and more interesting than the very common neon tetra - but its all just personal preference on what you like.
Have a google see what you like the look of in terms of small/medium tetras. I'd probably stay away from the large tetras like congo and emperor in case they bother your apistos especially when they are young.
This is a guide to apsitogramma tank mates which specifically mentions cacatuoides

MacZ

and the other fish usually eat the eggs.
Fry. The eggs are save as tetras stay away from caves. Same difference. Successful breeding is not going to happen.

I'd switch the substrate for sand btw. And the tank is insufficiently structured. Lines of sight are not broken, Once the Apistos mature this tank layout will cause trouble.

UncleMattysAquarium

Fry. The eggs are save as tetras stay away from caves. Same difference. Successful breeding is not going to happen.

I'd switch the substrate for sand btw. And the tank is insufficiently structured. Lines of sight are not broken, Once the Apistos mature this tank layout will cause trouble.
How exactly should I set the tank up for them to thrive? This was just some stuff from an old tank that I put in here to help cycle the tank. The setup isn’t permanent, and I would love to set it up for them to do well.

MacZ

I had hoped I could link you to one of the threads I explained that before but I can't find any of the relevant post right now. So I'll do it again.

Most importantly the substrate should be fine sand. Untreated play sand or pool filter sand are the best options for low budget. Leaf litter is also a very good addition.

The structure itself should part the tank and break lines of sight on the fishes usual swimming level (lowest 10-15cm above the substrate). A fully open front is not good in such a case, the fish can see from one end to the other, as one will claim that whole area for itself.

Here is a schematic of a structure that would work.
structure dwarf cichlids.jpg

I myself keep a bachelor group of Dicrossus, who don't need the same type of structure Apistos need, so ignore the alignment within the tank, but take a look at how you can build a sight barrier even without massive pieces of driftwood or rock by starting with rocks as a base and putting smaller entangled wood pieces on top.

structure dwarf cichlids2.jpg structure dwarf cichlids3.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….