• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tank mates for A. panduro

FishermanFly

Hi all,

I have a 25 gallon tank with logs, plants and rock structure. I have attached a picture of the tank.

I have 8 Leopard Danios and 4 Kuhli Loaches with my (at the moment) 3 A. panduro. There is some floating hornwort as well as some hair grass in the front.

Does the above mix of fish, plants and layout make sense and would it be okay during the breeding stage of my panduro?

Would the danios/loaches eat the fry/eggs?

I currently have my temperature at about 27C and do weekly 20-40% water changes.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20180720_082748.jpg
    20180720_082748.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 797

Ade205

Hi.

Being totally honest I see a few issues...

Firstly, I'm not a fan of Danios with Apistos. I've never kept together but I've kept both over many years and dispite their reputation for being a surface swimming fish, Danios will feed of the bottom. If you want Apisto fry, I fear the speed and general feeding frenzy that ensures when Danios detect food could end badly for the fry.

Kuhli Loaches. I've not kept for many years, but as they inhabit the bottom of the tank i fear conflict and suspect an Apisto could inflict some damage on the Loach, in particular a brooding one! To recap though, the tank mates are ok if you don't want fry, but remember it might not be fair on the Danios and especially the Loaches if the Cichlids spawn and then start attacking! It's not always just a question of will the fry be eaten, it's also a case of what will happen to the tank mates if the Cichlids breed!

Also, be aware that if the Panduro's pair off you will most likely need to remove the 3rd one.

Finally, I truly think Apisto tanks should have a sand substrate. I'm sure they'd be ok as long as water is good in your tank, but for ultimate health and longevity I think sand is required. I'm sure the ones I've kept over sand are healthier, eat better, and are more confident to breed, often using sand to adjust cave entrances to their liking. I've a Cacatuoides colony and looking at the substrate you'd think they'd brought in a few industrial diggers to do a bit of landscaping to make things more to their liking!!
You will get far more natural behaviour with sand too.

Your situation and what your planning would benefit massively if you have another tank to which you can move fish if tension and bullying get out of hand!

Hope this helps and dated when you get the fish.

Ade.

Last edited:

FishermanFly

Thanks so much for your reply Ade205, that's very helpful!

Lots to think about from my side. Unfortunately, I've only just bought all of this stuff and put a lot of effort into setting it all up. So, I don't think I will be able to replace it all just yet.

Will be perfectly fine with removing the danios if necessary, and the loaches if it comes to that. I think your idea of setting up a new tank on the side is a very necessary thing to do.

Thanks so much again, I appreciate it!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….