• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tank mates for A. panduro.

MaestroCygni

5 Year Member
Hi, I'm looking for (biotope correct) tankmates for A. panduro. The tank will be 60x45x35 cm (about 24x18x14").
I had thought of Nannostomus marginatus, because they're beautiful, but I've heard stories of panduros butchering them during the breeding season. Is there any fish that A. panduro won't hurt during the breeding season?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My experience with A. panduro is that they are very protective of their brood territory (in your case, probably the entire tank) - particularly from other bottom dwellers. I've not had problems with faster, more surface-dwelling fish that can avoid their attacks. Your dwarf pencil fish should be able to avoid the apistos if they have some plants to dart into.

MaestroCygni

5 Year Member
. Your dwarf pencil fish should be able to avoid the apistos if they have some plants to dart into.
That's the problem.... Biotope correct means no aquatic plants, at all.

The only picture I have been able to find with aquatic vegetation, is a picture of the Rio Ucayali, with Limnobium laevegatum, and it was posted on an aquarium related site, with no source. Even if it was real, I'd prefer going for Rio Tahuayo, as it's true blackwater, while Ucayali is whitewater, as far as I know.

I've already asked TomC whether he found any vegetation in the Rio Tahuayo, and the answer was no.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
That's the problem.... Biotope correct means no aquatic plants, at all.

The only picture I have been able to find with aquatic vegetation, is a picture of the Rio Ucayali, with Limnobium laevegatum, and it was posted on an aquarium related site, with no source. Even if it was real, I'd prefer going for Rio Tahuayo, as it's true blackwater, while Ucayali is whitewater, as far as I know.

I've already asked TomC whether he found any vegetation in the Rio Tahuayo, and the answer was no.
There are images of a Rio Ucayali varzea flood-plain floating meadows in <"Gymnotus ucamara: A new species.....">

There are also pictures in <"Collecting in the Rio Tahuayo...">, which show plenty of plants in the water, although they aren't strictly aquatic plants. These are the collection localities for A. panduro.

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

and this is the collection locality for A. norberti
resizeimage.aspx

I would definitely add a floating plant, Pistia stratiotes would be fine.

cheers Darrel

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….