• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Substrate in Apisto Tanks

eageraquarist

5 Year Member
Hi, I've never kept a tank with a sand substrate, could I get some of your suggestions and expertise on the type of sand, depth, etc. that you use for your apisto tanks. Im researching before I get hooked on apistos. Great site and great people by the way.

Thanks alot

JRH

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
I use the sand used in construction (very cheap, about U$S 2 for 25 kg). I use to make a layer of 2 cm (almost 1 inch)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sand in the Amazon tends to be very fine, much finer than construction sand. It is composed of mostly quartz grains about 0.5 mm or smaller. While apistos like to sift fine sand like this, it doesn't need to be this fine. Most of my tanks have coarse sand blasting sand (25 - 30 years old!) around 1.5-2 mm.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
The old quartz sand Mike is using used to be so cheap. I used to buy 100 lb bags for only about $4.00 a bag. It is still being sold as "Torpedo Beach Sand" by CaribSea for about $20/50 lb.s plus the freight which almost doubles the price. Some fish shops are able to stock it so you can save by not paying for the freight. A thinner layer of #50 grain size quartz sand blasting sand can be bought for about $8.00 and it is sugar white and similarly fine. It is very similar to the sand found in most Apistogramma species' native environment. It is best not to keep more than a 1 inch deep layer but it is ideal for Apistogramma. The sand is quartzite which is chemically neutral.
Play box sand sold at warehouse hardware stores is shades of gray but cheap and safe to use. It also is relatively chemically inert.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Same as the others, largely silica sand. I'd use "Swimming Pool filter sand" for choice, but at the moment I've got a mix of very fine "Kiddies" play sand and slightly coarser horticultural "lime-free" silver sand.

Because I grow plants rooted in the substrate as well as on the bog wood,
I'm now adding a small amount of clay (about 5%) either as garden or pottery clay or or any red calcined clay - Akadama (sold for Bonsai growing) or the non-perfumed clumping "cat litter" or "Seramis" and 5% acid leafmould.

The advantage of these additives is that they provide some CEC and a trickle of slow release nutrients for rooted Echinodorus ssp, Cryptocoryne ssp etc.

cheers Darrel

bigbird

5 Year Member
Hi all,

Same as Darrel, go to the pool shop and get the silica pool filter sand. very fine and neutral. Wash it out very well. In Australia this sand is quite cheap. cheers jk :cool:

MonteSS

I have PFS in my Gtmno tank and like it, but it is very light colored. I heard Apistos like a darker substrate.

I wanted grey, but had to buy a 50# bag + shipping which was too much. I ended up mixed the white PFS with a bag of black sand. It looks good and a little darker.

....Bill

Bunnie1978

In my planted apisto tank, I'm using a mix of Flourite black (expensive, small clay gravel for the plants) and Black Diamond Blasting grit, very fine black shiny sand.

It looks awesome!!

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
Mike, I guess that the construction sand used here is different than the one used in USA.

The one used here is between 0.1 to 0.2 mm in diameter.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Geologically, sand has a diameter between 0.2 and 2 mm, so what you uses a construction sand is what geologists consider 'silt'. Sand that I collected from the Río Itaya in Peru is about 0.3 mm in diameter. The sandblasting 'sand' that I have in my tanks is technically very fine gravel or granules.

eageraquarist

5 Year Member
Thanks for your info guys. Today I checked at home depot and they have a 50 pound bag of very fine sugar sand for like 4$ in case anyone was curious its very white, and I prefer a dark substrate so although its much more expensive I picked up some Caribsea Tahitian Moon black sand that has about .1-.2 mm avg size grains according to their website.

discusone

5 Year Member
JRH,

Like yourself,i am new to apisto keeping,FWIW,i used Caribsea Super Naturals substrate.They have a black sand varity.So far,so good.No issues with PH,or KH problems.I used about 1and a 1/2 inch to cover the bottom,as was suggested by the pros here on the site.I even have an Amozon Sword sending out new shouts,(SP)?.
If you look in the ID forum of this site,there are a few pics i posted so you can get an idea of what it looks like.I mixed up a bag of white and black.

Bill.

northtexasfossilguy

I also do the fluorite/black diamond (called black beauty from my store) combo. I grow plants with my fish though, any rock or sand is fine as long as its not carbonate or containing heavy metals.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….