• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Stubborn oak tree

ButtNekkid

5 Year Member
Hi,

I have found a tree that does not seem to drop it´s leaves. Are there oak species that drop their leaves at spring?

All the leaves in the pic are picked straight from the tree. Do these look ok to use? Bottom right one has something grey on it? Is that a BIG no no? And the upper right has the twig still attached to leaves. Is that safe to use in aquarium?

There seems to be some green in the leaves "spine" when I picked them. They have dried a day and the green stuff is gone.

Attachments

• 20161018_164521.jpg
    20161018_164521.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 305

gerald

5 Year Member
Not sure where you are, but in North Carolina most of our oaks are not shedding much yet; they're one of the last to drop, late Oct to early Dec. And yes there are evergreen oaks that shed in spring when the new leaves push off the old leaves, but I dont think your oak is one of those. Also, young oaks and beech often hold on to their leaves longer than mature trees do. Yes, they should be safe to use even if they hadn't fallen off yet. The main concern is to get them after the tree has extracted most of the sap and sugars from the leaves (stored for winter in the branches). If most of the green was already gone when you picked them, the sap/sugar content will be low.

ButtNekkid

5 Year Member
Not sure where you are, but in North Carolina most of our oaks are not shedding much yet; they're one of the last to drop, late Oct to early Dec. And yes there are evergreen oaks that shed in spring when the new leaves push off the old leaves, but I dont think your oak is one of those. Also, young oaks and beech often hold on to their leaves longer than mature trees do. Yes, they should be safe to use even if they hadn't fallen off yet. The main concern is to get them after the tree has extracted most of the sap and sugars from the leaves (stored for winter in the branches). If most of the green was already gone when you picked them, the sap/sugar content will be low.

Hi,

I´m in Finland. Those leaves were already brown when I picked them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….