• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Strange behavior macmasteri pair

danbb

My macmasteri red mask pair has spawned with no success for 4 times until now (from what I saw). First 2 egg-laying happened inside the coconut cave, the hole has big enough for the male to enter, he drove the female outside the cave and "taking care of eggs" (after 2-3 days the eggs was gone, in that period the pair was not eating, after that everything back to normal). I changed the cave with one with entrance small enough only for the female, but ... surprise: the female spawned on the exterior of the cave, around the cave entrance. Same scenario, male chased the female away from the eggs and after 2-3 days... no eggs.
My next move is to take out the eggs and move them alone or with mum in another tank.
What can be the problem? Can I have 2 females or a pair with the male too thoughtful? If I have two females can them/or one of them spawn consecutively without a male around?

gerald

5 Year Member
It is normal for the eggs to disappear after 2-3 days. They should have hatched (if fertile) and the mother (or maybe father)? could have moved the wrigglers somewhere else. If your "male" looks like a male, it probably is a male. With many cichlids two females will pair off and one or both will spawn if no male is available, though i have never seen Apistos do this. Young pairs sometimes have failed spawnings for a few months before they get it right.

danbb

Thanks gerald. I believe they are a pair even if the relation between them is quite tense: just few times I saw them one next to each other without chases from the male. From what I have read, this can be normal to some macmasteri pairs. I will post some pictures with them.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I tend toward your 'male' being a female. The soft dorsal and anal tips are not as pointed as on a typical male. I could be wrong, of course. It could be just a very young male. How large are the fish?

gerald

5 Year Member
If that's a male it's an unusually colorless one. Sometimes an older dominant female in the absence of a male will get somewhat male-like coloration and behavior. There's also the faint possibility that it WAS a female and is becoming male. Dwarflover had this happen with a cacatuoides, a female who had laid eggs, raised fry, then transformed and bred as a male with another female.
http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/threads/female-changed-sex.14548/page-2#post-76654

danbb

It can be a female turning into a male. I had also a female cacatuoides who laid eggs and after a time she turn into a male and bred with other female. I can't be wrong with that because she had a particular sign (a pectoral fin damaged, probably born with that problem). My "male" can be a female, like I said before, when the cave entrance was big enough to enter - the eggs was laid inside and when the cave entrance was smaller - the eggs was laid on the exterior side of the cave.
If both are females, what is the best to do: let them like that and see what happens or try to find a male (very hard here).

danbb

I've decided to buy a male and today I received the fish. It's a juvenile fish but quite different from the females: more color on the neck, much more pointed anal and dorsal tips.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomek B.

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….