• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Stocking ok?

I have a 46 gallon planted bow front tank with
2 Angelfish
8 cardinal tetras
8 green Cory cats
And
2 nerite snails
To which I would like to add
2 apisto cacatuoides, Macmasteri or agassizii
Temp is 78° to 80° F
My water is quite hard out of the tap but I have quite a bit of wood in the tank.

Does this seem doable? Which species would work best under these conditions? Or can you recommend another variety that would be better?

Thank you!
0822171650c-1.jpg
0822171647b-1.jpg

Attachments

• 0809172125b.jpg
    0809172125b.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 324

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If you think inter-species aggression is rough, then wait until you see what happens when a female has fry to protect. Of course, in your community tank it's very unlikely that any fry will survive. A community tank is not a breeding tank. Anyway, I've found there is much less aggression between males of 2 different species that also look different.

If you think inter-species aggression is rough, then wait until you see what happens when a female has fry to protect. Of course, in your community tank it's very unlikely that any fry will survive. A community tank is not a breeding tank. Anyway, I've found there is much less aggression between males of 2 different species that also look different.
My angels successfully raised fry in this tank for a couple weeks on their first try! That's why I said they are fantastic parents but it wasn't any fun for the other inhabitants. I just took the babies out recently. That's why mama looks so sad in the 2nd picture above. I have no desire to breed. I just hate to separate a pair that are so successful together. would you separate them? I was thinking I could just pull the eggs when they attempt to breed again . . .

What would you add? Do you mean no apisto? Just to clarify.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'll give you an example. I have a 30L "geriatric tank" where my older apistos, who have no mates, live. Right now I have an old A. bitaeniata male, A. wolli male and A. sp. Rocafuerte female in it. They live quite peacefully together with some Rainbow Emperor Tetras and Cory cats. If you aren't interested in breeding, then I'd recommend adding some color (males). As for the angels? Well TBA (Tank Buying Addiction) springs to mind! They would be better off in their own breeding tank ... then you'd need another grow-out tank ... and then ...:eek: .

I'll give you an example. I have a 30L "geriatric tank" where my older apistos, who have no mates, live. Right now I have an old A. bitaeniata male, A. wolli male and A. sp. Rocafuerte female in it. They live quite peacefully together with some Rainbow Emperor Tetras and Cory cats. If you aren't interested in breeding, then I'd recommend adding some color (males). As for the angels? Well TBA (Tank Buying Addiction) springs to mind! They would be better off in their own breeding tank ... then you'd need another grow-out tank ... and then ...:eek: .
Lol it could cause endless problems
So how about 1 male a. cacatuoides and 1 male a. Kelleri? I'm really not familiar with these fish enough to suggest my own stocking I think lol. I've read that the agassizii are are more aggressive. I can't remember why I ruled out the Macmasteri honestly so maybe him instead of Kelleri? So

2 Angelfish
8 cardinal tetras
8 green Cory cats
1 a. cacatuoides (male)
1 a. Kelleri? Or ? (Male)
2 nerite snails

Be Ok?
Thank you wise Mike ;)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….