• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Stocking idea for new tank

Lucasalc46

hey guys, I’m a new member and I was wondering what would be a good idea about stocking a new 20 gallon tank.

I was thinking a pair of apistogramma hogsloi or double red with a small school of pencil fish and maybe some bleeding heart tetra or snakeskin barbs. I was also thinking once the tank is established and stable to add 2-3 checkerboard cichlids.

Does this sound ok or am I over stocking?
Thanks!

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
I'd go with only a pair of Apisto's or only Checkerboards, but not both unfortunately. The tetras sound fine, though I'd recommend Pencils over Bleeding Hearts or Barbs. Barbs can be rambunctious and cause stress to the Apisto's (or mess with any breeding), and BH can get rather large so you can't keep as many. Pencils are great for smaller tanks and for Apisto dithers. :)

Lucasalc46

Ok
I'd go with only a pair of Apisto's or only Checkerboards, but not both unfortunately. The tetras sound fine, though I'd recommend Pencils over Bleeding Hearts or Barbs. Barbs can be rambunctious and cause stress to the Apisto's (or mess with any breeding), and BH can get rather large so you can't keep as many. Pencils are great for smaller tanks and for Apisto dithers. :)
Ok thanks! Which tetras would you recommend with the apistos and Pencilfish

Tlindsey

hey guys, I’m a new member and I was wondering what would be a good idea about stocking a new 20 gallon tank.

I was thinking a pair of apistogramma hogsloi or double red with a small school of pencil fish and maybe some bleeding heart tetra or snakeskin barbs. I was also thinking once the tank is established and stable to add 2-3 checkerboard cichlids.

Does this sound ok or am I over stocking?
Thanks!
Welcome aboard :)

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
I've read Black Neon's are great for dithers, but I don't particularly fancy them myself so I rarely recommend them. If you're really trying to get fry from the parents, Pencilfish and Hatchets are the way to go. If you can pull the fry from the tank, any smaller tetra would be fine. Cardinals, Green Neons, Rummynose, etc. are all great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….