• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Stocking 125g

Do y'all agree that these cichlids work together?
1 electric blue acara
2 Or 4 German blue rams (1 male)
1 powder blue gourami
1 pearl gourami

If not then would subbing 1 snakeskin For the pearl help?

Plus dithers and cories

I believe I have already read that apistos and rams do not work together. Is this true? Could they join this tank or replace another fish?

Feel free to offer edits.

Tank dimensions 60×26×18

Thank you ❤

Last edited:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Personally I wouldn't keep this community. The EB Acara would probably bully the other fish. The Powder Blue Gourami (I'm guessing this is a form of Colisa lalia, the Dwarf Gourami) should be fine. If it's a form of the larger Three-spot Gourami (T. tricopterus), it would be a poor choice, too. I've always considered Pearl Gouramies 'gentle giants'.

Personally I wouldn't keep this community. The EB Acara would probably bully the other fish. The Powder Blue Gourami (I'm guessing this is a form of Colisa lalia, the Dwarf Gourami) should be fine. If it's a form of the larger Three-spot Gourami (T. tricopterus), it would be a poor choice, too. I've always considered Pearl Gouramies 'gentle giants'.
It is a dwarf g so that is good. I haven't had gourami before so I can only rely on the advice of others.

Thank you both for answering :)

Can you say In what company an eba would work?

Shane Puthuparambil

Rams aren
It is a dwarf g so that is good. I haven't had gourami before so I can only rely on the advice of others.

Thank you both for answering :)

Can you say In what company an eba would work?

An EBA with other EBAs. They are much to aggressive, would most likely end up eating the rams. I have heard stories of schools of tetras disappearing overnight.

I personally do not like to mix fish from different regions around the world to be mixed. EBA are "South American" in origin, so I would stick to keeping them with other South American fish. Honestly, a species only tank with them might be cool. Otherwise, look into some of the larger dwarf cichlids, where you can create a nice biotope style tank with cories, tetras, and apistos.

Rams aren

An EBA with other EBAs. They are much to aggressive, would most likely end up eating the rams. I have heard stories of schools of tetras disappearing overnight.

I personally do not like to mix fish from different regions around the world to be mixed. EBA are "South American" in origin, so I would stick to keeping them with other South American fish. Honestly, a species only tank with them might be cool. Otherwise, look into some of the larger dwarf cichlids, where you can create a nice biotope style tank with cories, tetras, and apistos.
Ok. I think I'm back to square 1 again o_O

Also it's 120 gallons. Not sure I can edit that. Not sure why I put 125 :/

Shane Puthuparambil

Haha! Square 1 is a good place to be, makes you think outside the lines!

Here is an example of a plan I made up for a new tank.

I am setting up a 75 gallon biotope soon. It is going to be modeled after the scene in the second half of the video:

It is going to be a specific section of the Rio Inirida, called Cano Bocon. It will be covered in leaf litter, driftwood, and the occasional riparian vegetation. Other than that, the fish will add the pop of color.

I plan to stock with cardinal tetras, Apistogramma Iniridae, and Dicrossus Filamentosus as all of those fish are found in the same region. This will be nice as the water parameters I can provide (slow moving water, pH of 6.0, temp of 82) will all suit these fish well.

The good thing about this is that the fish will interact with the environment as they would if it was truly in the wild. Hence I am setting up the tank like that.

^

What I listed above is the type of plan you should have when stocking the tank. What are you going to put in? For what purpose? What will it truly add? What are the water conditions required by each species?

In one way, it is easier to manage those things if you select a specific geopgraphic location and select fish from that region, and place them in a tank that matches the water parameters of the region.

On the other hand, it can be exciting to keep fish from different regions in the same tank. It just requires a different mindset.

Hope this helps,
Shane

Haha! Square 1 is a good place to be, makes you think outside the lines!

Here is an example of a plan I made up for a new tank.

I am setting up a 75 gallon biotope soon. It is going to be modeled after the scene in the second half of the video:

It is going to be a specific section of the Rio Inirida, called Cano Bocon. It will be covered in leaf litter, driftwood, and the occasional riparian vegetation. Other than that, the fish will add the pop of color.

I plan to stock with cardinal tetras, Apistogramma Iniridae, and Dicrossus Filamentosus as all of those fish are found in the same region. This will be nice as the water parameters I can provide (slow moving water, pH of 6.0, temp of 82) will all suit these fish well.

The good thing about this is that the fish will interact with the environment as they would if it was truly in the wild. Hence I am setting up the tank like that.

^

What I listed above is the type of plan you should have when stocking the tank. What are you going to put in? For what purpose? What will it truly add? What are the water conditions required by each species?

In one way, it is easier to manage those things if you select a specific geopgraphic location and select fish from that region, and place them in a tank that matches the water parameters of the region.

On the other hand, it can be exciting to keep fish from different regions in the same tank. It just requires a different mindset.

Hope this helps,
Shane
This seems like good advice. We do have really' hard water here so perhaps I should find fish who like that. Not really interested in another platy or Molly thing tho lol. I'm gonna watch that video now :)

That looks like fun ! I'm gonna start again I suppose. Thank you!

Last edited:
Haplochromis sauvagei "Blue"
Haplochromis latifasciatus
Haplochromis sp. "Ruby Green"
???

Ugh, my brain hurts. I just need someone to tell me what to do. I'm afraid all the aggressive behavior would be too stressful for me. I dunno

And I'm pretty sure this thread is posted wrong but I've no idea where to put it. Also not enjoying square 1 :( what about a ton of nano fish like embers and celestial danies? Would a few apistos work with them? Wait they aren't temp compatible are they?
I've no idea how to stock this tank :(

Shane Puthuparambil

Lol, take it easy. The best part is making the right decision. What water parameters do you have out of the tap? Once you give us that info, I can help better.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Best way to start a community tank is to decide which 1 species you really want in it. Then add other fish that are compatible with the species, both behaviorally and environmentally. Say that you really want EBA. Then other species for the tank to consider would be medium-sized tetras, catfish, and cichlids.

Lol, take it easy. The best part is making the right decision. What water parameters do you have out of the tap? Once you give us that info, I can help better.
Good idea. My water is very hard tho I don't know the gh. The kh is 161 in my quarantine tank which has only some hornwart in it. Calcium was 80 to 100 ish. I do have this chart from city of Phoenix tho I don't know how helpful it is. I don't really know anything about water hardness.
Screenshot_2017-08-27-13-36-56-1.png

My ph is 8.2 from the tap but is between 7.4 and 8 in my tanks varied by substrate and wood. So African cichlids lol. I already have a live bearer tank.
Best way to start a community tank is to decide which 1 species you really want in it. Then add other fish that are compatible with the species, both behaviorally and environmentally. Say that you really want EBA. Then other species for the tank to consider would be medium-sized tetras, catfish, and cichlids.
Yeah that's smart. I guess I should study them more first.

gerald

5 Year Member
Orange chromide is a nice small-ish hardwater cichlid. The natural form is black-and-yellow, and there's a domesticated xanthic yellow-orange form with no black. Personally I like the natural form. Your tap water is rather hard for most Amazon or Orinoco basin species. Some of the far-south South Americans (Bolivia, Uruguay, SE Brazil) are better candidates for hard water. Also Central Americans, like Thorichthys meeki, T. aureum, T. elliotti, maculipinnis, etc. And of course any of the African Rift Lake fish. You might like "shellies".

Orange chromide is a nice small-ish hardwater cichlid. The natural form is black-and-yellow, and there's a domesticated xanthic yellow-orange form with no black. Personally I like the natural form. Your tap water is rather hard for most Amazon or Orinoco basin species. Some of the far-south South Americans (Bolivia, Uruguay, SE Brazil) are better candidates for hard water. Also Central Americans, like Thorichthys meeki, T. aureum, T. elliotti, maculipinnis, etc. And of course any of the African Rift Lake fish. You might like "shellies".
Thank you. I'll look at those suggestions. Beautiful profile fish. What is it?

gerald

5 Year Member
Gulf Coast Pygmy Sunfish, Elassoma gilberti, from northwest Florida. I took him out on my porch an hour before sunset and got the sun angle just right on him. With regular aquarium light the males look mainly black with blue body bars and fin edges, but not nearly this much blue! Females are tan and brown mottled.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….