• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Small worm infestation

S

Scorpiomike

This is my first post and is a little off topic, so I decided to post to the lounge. I have been lurking for a while and have gained tremendous amounts of information. I am just unhappy that my first post is about a potential problem.

I just got a few A. borelli which are doing fine. My problem deals with a different tank that houses 2 large Oscars, 2 Medium- Large Bala Sharks, 1 Convict Cichlid (the other died today :cry: ), and a Cory Cat. It is a 75 Gallon tank. I do weekly water changes of about 10-15%. Last water tests were about a week or so ago, 0 Ammonia, 0 nitrite, pH 7.4. Tank has been up and running for about 8 months, never any problems, most of the fish had been housed in a different tank and are about 2 years old.

Did a water change last night, switched out filter (water polisher on a Magnum) and dosed with Flourish (I have been trying to get some hardy plants to grow a little better and have been dosing about a month). Got home from work today and filter not running very well. The water polisher I put in was an old one while the newer one soaks, so it clogged pretty quickly. The fish were breathing heavy but not gasping. I figured they just needed a little more circulation from the filter. Then, I noticed that one of the Convicts had died, no obvious external problems, and no change in behavior noticed in the past few days. And now, all along the bottom of tank, just above and down into the gravel, there are millions of very small white worms of some type, about the size of Microworms.

I switched out the water polisher for the regular carbon filter to get better circulation, and added an air stone just so that the fish could breath easier (they use to always have an air curtain until I decided to work on growing some plants). Any idea what the worms could be? Do you think these are the cause of the Convicts death? What should I treat with? I have been keeping fish for 10-15 years and never had anything like this. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

Neil

Scorpiomike,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Michael,
Sounds like there was a build up of organics in the tank, which would cause a drop in O2 and a food source for the worms. I have heard of this before, but it has never happened to me, so I don't exactly know what to tell you. I would replace as much water as possible, in small doses, over the next couple of days. Hopefully, someone that knows specifically about these worms or has had a similar problem can help further. LOL
Neil

aspen

5 Year Member
are these 'worms' like tiny white leeches, moving on the gravel, or are they snakelike and appear to be able to swim?

rick

S

Scorpiomike

They are only on the surface of the glass and maybe the gravel (they are so small they would not be very evident in the gravel). They do not seem to swim in the water. They do not really look like leaches. They don't have any variation in body thickness, and they don't look like they are stretching out and then compressing to move.

They are mostly gone now. I will try changing some water again and see what happens. Thanks!

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frankephex

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….