• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Slow growers

MonteSS

I have 5 about 3/4" Borelli blue in a 10g and a trio of Trifasciata in a 26G. Weekly water changes and Nitrate is around 5. PH is 7.2.

I feed frozen brine shrimp every other day and flake or crumbles the other days.

Live food is not available to me. Can I feed BS every day? More than once a day? Any other frozen or dry to try?

They eat well and are active but just wont grow for months now.

Thanks...Bill

DBlauj

The main diet for my Apistos is frozen BS. They love it and I have not seen any problems from it.

MonteSS

Adult BS. They really gobble them.

BTW water temp is 78*. Should I raise it?

Also the Trifasc are always in the front of the tank and never hide. They go up in the water column and look to be fed when I walk by

Thanks...Bill

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
I don't know if they fixed it with new techniques, but I stopped using adult frozen brine years ago when I noticed a lot of ruptured shrimp. Thus the fish were just eating the shells and not much of the innards of the shrimp, thus not a lot of nutrition.

regani

5 Year Member
I feed freshly hatched BBS from the start and mix in crushed flake after the first few weeks. This usually makes the transfer to dried foods easy. When they grow up I feed mainly dried foods (mix various good quality flake and micro pellets) with BBS or other live food a few times a week. That usually gives decent grow for me.
I also feed smaller amounts 2x a day rather than one big feed. Temperature has an effect on growth rates as well.
But I have also found borellii fairly slow growing, so patience may be required :)

uberape

I get home made food from uk ebay, they give you the % protein and fat. if you want them to grow the higher the better. also the miracle of really clean water.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apistokeeper

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….