• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

slate background vs pH

cmoreash

5 Year Member
I was wondering, if you did a slate or a slate-like background rock wall in a tank, would it raise the pH? the tank in question is 60 gallons, and soon to be a SA planted tetra tank, so the pH is prefered to stay acidic. Anything you guys know would be great.

aspen

5 Year Member
i would test all natural materials with phosphoric acid, or muriatic (hydrochloric) acid before use- not driftwood obviously. if it bubbles, it will give off carbonates, to raise kh, and therefore ph.

imo, slate would not give off carbonates, but just as there is no 'pure rock' you can't tell, till you test it. there is a vinegar test, but i have found it to be unreliable. stronger acid will give better results. be careful with the acid. muriatic gives off harmful fumes and all acids are obviously corrosive.

rick

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….