• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sick D. Filamentosus

georgedv

5 Year Member
I have six D Filamentosus in a 20 long. One of them has started breathing heavily the last two days. He still swims about, but I am not sure if he is eating. The other five are doing well (so far). This has been their home for over six months ...no additions or changes to the tank.

Two have developed into males (lyre tails) Three seem to be females (body patterns are different from developed males) . The sick one has the colors of a male around the edges of caudal and dorsal fins. I think his lyre tail might be at step 1.

Could this be an illness or stress as being the least of the males. If it is an illness any suggestions as to what I can do. So far I know that most meds can do more harm then good fore this fish. I have seen many Dicrossus fans here and am hoping for them to share any experience they have.

thanks
george

uberape

I'll take a guess by saying the twenty long is not big enough for the last male to develop and he is getting chased. I have what I think is two males but one large male has retarded the development of the other and that is in a 35 gallon long with just the 2 conspecifics. But I don't really know just guessing i'm afraid. If you have another tank remove him to it and see how he develops ??

georgedv

5 Year Member
Thank you all for the input. Unfortunately, the day after isolation, the fished died. Right now I'm watching the others carefully. I noticed their pH had risen somehow to 6.8 and the color on the dh kit showed that the water was not as soft as it usually is. I gradually adjusted. Even though the changes were a few degrees....maybe that was the culprit.

Again thank you.
george

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….