• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sick ap.trifasciata

Apsnake

Hi all
I have a 200l apistogramma tank with one wc male one wc female 3 tank bred females and some very small blue eyed killis. Over the last few months I've been battling an algae problem from moving house I now have a lot more natural light anyway I have had a struggle with maintaining the tank. During this period of algae blooms I noticed my male acting a bit strange and looking a little thin. I kept an eye on him and very slowly it got worse. Now recently it had gotten bad he has an inturned stomach and a slight bulge on his side and I decided I would treat the tank I was advised to use a hole in the head treatment that contains octozin which would help treat internals which is the likely cause of his symptoms. My question is will he make a recovery using this medication and if so will the inturned stomach go away? He hasn't changed at all but he seems to be eating a lot more regularly. I've given the tank heavy feedings the last 3 days to keep him and them all fighting fit while there's meds in the tank. I treated 7 days ago so in the next few days I'll do a water change etc. Just wanted some general advice about my situation as scrolling through 4000 posts to find something similar gets tedious and scary (thought I was gonna catch tb) much appreciated for any reply
Snak

Apsnake

I generally don't use meds unless I'm sure of what fish are Ill with but I didn't want to lose my male. If it's a reoccurring problem replacement fish are cheaper than meds. As harsh as that might sound that is the reality

gerald

5 Year Member
Without knowing the cause, treatment is just a guess, and even when we do know the cause treatment doesn't always help. But dimetridazole (octozin) sounds like a reasonable guess! Still eating is a good sign. Might be protozoans, worms, bacteria, virus, etc. If he stops eating entirely, I would remove and kill him. It's better NOT to let him die in the tank with the other fish, and increase the pathogen load on everybody else.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….