1. Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Should I be worried about the white pimple on my A. borellii?

Discussion in 'Dwarf Cichlid Health' started by flori, May 20, 2019.

1. flori

flori New Member

My Apistogramma borellii male has this white thing on his back, right next / at the lower end of his dorsal fin.

It looks like the "white head" of a pimple minus the red, swollen area of a human's pimple.

To me in person it looks less fluffy than it does in the pictures, but I'm not sure who's "wrong", me or the camera.

The tank is 23 gal, with him and a female plus 12 Paracheirodon simulans.
    The values are:
    ph 6.4
    gh 4
    kh 3
    EC Tds 128
    No2 0
    No3 10
    Temp 77F

My best bet (which isn't worth much) whould be he cut himself chasing the female around and has some fungus there now?

What else could it be and should I do anything other than regular water changes?

Attached Files:

• a2.JPG
      a2.JPG
      File size:
      638.9 KB
      Views:
    • a1.JPG
      a1.JPG
      File size:
      187.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Mike Wise

Mike Wise Moderator Staff Member 5 Year Member

I can't see the damage well enough in the photos. It might be a damaged scale or lymphocystis, a viral infection that generally clears up with top notch water quality and nutrition. Antibiotics don't work on viral infections.
  3. flori

flori New Member

Unfortunately I couldn't get a better picture of it. There's no other spots like that and nothing on any other fish, and I think it got a bit smaller. Since the fish is behaving normally I'll just assume it's a damaged scale or other small injury for now, keep up the water hygiene and feed him lots of fresh brine shrimps which he loves, as all fish seem to do :)