• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sexing A. Cacatuoides

Marquesas14

Hey everyone! I'm hoping to get some feedback on a trio of fish that I got from a recent club auction. They were sold as a trio of female 'Super Red' but after letting them settle down in their new home for a few days I've noticed that one has significantly brighter finnage than the other two. Do I have a Male in this group or am I just seeing a different color variant? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20180614_150601.jpg
    20180614_150601.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 697
  • 20180614_150605.jpg
    20180614_150605.jpg
    930.6 KB · Views: 696
  • 20180614_150625.jpg
    20180614_150625.jpg
    588 KB · Views: 679

qmehling

Looks like you have 2 males and one female. Someone else may be able to verify. The pic with the thermometer looks to be the female. its more yellow in color and has a slimmer body. Could also be a sleeper male too.

Marquesas14

I'm admittedly fairly green when it comes to apistos, but as I understand things, the females have more of a yellowed coloring than the males. There are two that have a definitive yellow tint and the non yellow fish, the one I feel is male (the first photo) does not have this coloration.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Hey everyone! I'm hoping to get some feedback on a trio of fish that I got from a recent club auction. They were sold as a trio of female 'Super Red' but after letting them settle down in their new home for a few days I've noticed that one has significantly brighter finnage than the other two. Do I have a Male in this group or am I just seeing a different color variant? Thanks!
With the usual disclaimer that I'm not very good at this, one male and two females.

Females have a black leading edge to the ventral fins.

cheers Darrel

Happyfins

Hi all,With the usual disclaimer that I'm not very good at this, one male and two females.

Females have a black leading edge to the ventral fins.

cheers Darrel

Same disclaimer here. To date this seems to be the only way that I can pick male from female apistos at least in cacatuoides and panduro.
Anyhow, I concur with 1 male, 2 females.

Marquesas14

Thank for the responses everybody. Observing these three fish, I feel like the 1M/2F assessment is spot on. I've caught the 'male' flaring his fins and displaying for one of the other fish.

Damien Berry

Hi there I am looking for some help I bouth these 2 today and was td by the man in the shop that 1 is male and 1 is female so he thinks please could I get your opinion

Attachments

• IMG_20190625_172729.jpg
    IMG_20190625_172729.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 395
  • IMG_20190625_172128.jpg
    IMG_20190625_172128.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 388

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….