• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Setup Questions

I currently have a few apistogramma cacatuoides in a 10 gallon (20x10x12) tank. I would very much like to move them into a larger setup. What are your thoughts on a 40 gallon "breeder" (36x18x16) tank? If that's a generally acceptable size, what would your water cycling / filtration recommendation be? Would I be OK using a a Marineland / Penguin 150 gph or would a small air pump and "coarse" air stone be OK; enough to circulate the water column from bottom to top? 30 watts of tull spectrum LED light enough? Thank you for your feedback!

Bart Hazes

A 40 gallon breeder is a great tank (I have one) though I prefer the 30 gallon breeder (I have three) which has the same surface space just less tall. I can't help with the filtration as none of my 20+ tanks have any filtration and over the summer many even don't have any current. Just plants including a generous layer of floating plants is all that is needed. But I am definitely in the minority using this strategy. I have 30 watt of LED lighting per 2 by 6 foot shelf of multiple tanks. So 30 watt for one 40 gallon breeder should be plenty (my lights give about 2-3 times more light per watt than commercial aquarium LED lights though). You can find blogs on these various topics, including how to build your own cheap but very powerful LED lights at biodives.com/blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….