• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Setup Feedback Please

HookedOnFish_MI

Hello again! I was able to find another giant piece of spider wood for my 75 gallon and rescaped it and did a water change last night. I put the Mongolia leaves in the tank as well last night but decided to move them to a bucket of water this morning until they sink. Please give me your feedback on this setup for breeding Cacatuoides. I have 2 males and 2 females (females in a 10 gallon right now). I know I need more plants especially on the left and in front. Any thoughts on plant types? I have all anubias now since I don’t have fancy lighting or CO2. Also, would you just sit the plants on top of the leaf litter bed, or scatter the leaves around the plants?

C98D02F3-595D-44E6-828B-99ADF47034C7.jpeg

965B58BE-D266-46AE-A4AD-ED61FDE0B6E3.jpeg

9E78F60D-598D-40E5-88C4-F481AD7BC76B.jpeg

MacZ

Looks nice! I don't envy the task of trying to get fry out of there though....

With the rasboras I doubt fry will make it.

Still needs leaf litter and floating plants. Then it's perfect.

Well... except... do I see GUPPIES in there?

HookedOnFish_MI

With the rasboras I doubt fry will make it.

Still needs leaf litter and floating plants. Then it's perfect.

Well... except... do I see GUPPIES in there?
Hahaha, I do have 2 male guppies that I’ll move. I have seen posts in here and elsewhere that rasboras make good dither fish because they won’t bother the fry, but I can also move if it comes to it.

The leaf litter goes in as soon as it sinks and I’m looking for frogbit. Do you think I need more plants for the floor?

yukondog

5 Year Member
Those rasboras will eat everyone of them, I had some in with Macs. and the first chance they got they all ran in and ate them all in about 10 sec.

MacZ

The leaf litter goes in as soon as it sinks and I’m looking for frogbit. Do you think I need more plants for the floor?

Excellent!
Hmm... I like to keep rocks and driftwood for barriers on the ground and use the open spaces for leave litter beds. You can use plants that give cover from above while not needing much space on the ground. Like Nymphea or Nymphoides sending some floating leaves to the surface, while leaving a lot of room underneath.

HookedOnFish_MI

Excellent!
Hmm... I like to keep rocks and driftwood for barriers on the ground and use the open spaces for leave litter beds. You can use plants that give cover from above while not needing much space on the ground. Like Nymphea or Nymphoides sending some floating leaves to the surface, while leaving a lot of room underneath.
Thanks for the advice. Would you mind sharing a pic of your setup?

MacZ

Thanks for the advice. Would you mind sharing a pic of your setup?

It's not in the best state as the A. hongsloi I have right now are having health problems and most of the floating plants had to be removed due to simultaneously spreading rot. Plants are down to a lot of pennywort that covers most of the surface and a pothos plant in the corner.
But right now I'm kinda ok with the setup. I removed all substrate based plants a few months ago, as the tint made anything die off that grew in the lower two thirds.
Sorry for the quality, just spontaneously took some pics, those are the best I got.

photo_2021-02-13_18-28-59.jpg photo_2021-02-13_18-31-02.jpg

Last edited:

HookedOnFish_MI

It's not in the best state as the A. hongsloi I have right now are having health problems and most of the floating plants had to be removed due to simultaneously spreading rot. Plants are down to a lot of pennywort that covers most of the surface and a pothos plant in the corner.
But right now I'm kinda ok with the setup. I removed all substrate based plants a few months ago, as the tint made anything die off that grew in the lower two thirds.
Sorry for the quality, just spontaneously took some pics, those are the best I got.

View attachment 10005 View attachment 10006
Looks nice, thank you!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
In a tank of your size I think both can live together as long as the subdominant male has a place to avoid the dominant male.. Just be prepared to remove the subdominant male, especially if it is seen hovering at the surface.

HookedOnFish_MI

In a tank of your size I think both can live together as long as the subdominant male has a place to avoid the dominant male.. Just be prepared to remove the subdominant male, especially if it is seen hovering at the surface.
Got it, will be on alert for that. As always, thanks for the help!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….