• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

S. tinanti LFS has...

cosmiccow

5 Year Member
I have a 33 long that is 48" x 13" x 13". Currently only inhabitants are a few cory's and a few tetras.
Water is semi soft with a ph of about 6.8. Lots of rocks and caves.

My question is should I buy one tinanti or three/four? I'm going over to the store soon and see if I can sex them. They are about 3.5" long.

Last time I had a trio of
S.casuarius, the male killed one female and would not bond with the other.

I might just buy one as a solo addition to the tank. Then I can add another WA cichlid?

I just do not know if I can trust having three males? ID of sex may be hard at this age.
Any tips are appreciated. I will update this thread after my decision.

Thanks,
Tony

killiguy

I have 5 tinantis(6-7cm) in a 3 ft tank with a few rainbows;3males and 2 females by the look (females are smaller)
They scrap a bit but are not murderous and have paired up.Im not sure what will happen when fry arrive but for most cichlids Im betting they will get much more aggro

Simon Morgan

5 Year Member
I had 5 tinanti in a 48x18x15 with congo tetras and syno cats. Two paired up and spawned without too much aggro.
They mix well with Pelvicachromis, riverine Lamprologus and even Hemichromis IME.

cosmiccow

5 Year Member
Well I changed my mind and bought four S. Casuarius that were born in the tank at the LFS. They are about 1" to 1.5" long. I got all four plus one about .25" for $8.99.

I love raising small fish!

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
IME S. tinanti is not as brutal as S. casuarius can be. I have kept a group of one male and three females in a 33 long without problems.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….