• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rusty Spots.....

apistopete

5 Year Member
Hi all,

Can anybody tell me what might be causing rust colour marks to start forming on my live plants. They have been growing well for weeks but only noticed these marks forming over the last few days. Am new to this and very much inexperienced so any advice would be fantastic :)

Also, I have a bubble maker pipe available to use on my internal filter. Would using this be beneficial for the plants or cause more harm than good.

Cheers

UnicornsvstheWorld

A picture would be helpful but it's possible that it could be from a species of algae. Algae comes in many species and their colours vary, you can even get some really odd colours of the stuff. The best way to remove algae is physically scrape it off the leaves and continue doing that.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Do the brown spots eaily rub off? If so I'd guess you have diatom "algae". Using a different water source thsy has a lower mineral content to it might be in order.

apistopete

5 Year Member
Thanks,

Yes the rusty colour marks can be rubbed off a bit. Is there any specific treatment I can add to the water to be able to lower the mineral content of the water?

Also with regards to the bubble maker attachment on the filter, keep or remove? Reading up on the internet has me puzzled with contradicting views.

Cheers :)

UnicornsvstheWorld

A lot of chemical treatments for algae I have used in the past don't really work. There is also reducing the time that the aquarium light is on for but because its a browny algae it doesn't need as much light as green coloured algae, so it won't make much difference.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
If you wait a few months they will go away naturally.

I wouldn't suggest any chemical treatment, but Otocinclus are safe with Apistogramma, and will eat Diatoms, and so will Ramshorn snails if you water isn't really soft.

Diatoms can't get their silicon from sand, glass etc. as is as often suggested, but they need a source of orthosilicic acid.

They can grow at very low nutrient levels, so it is pretty difficult to lower nutrient levels low enough to stop them growing.

If you add some floating plants they will reduce light levels, and that should also help.

cheers Darrel

gerald

5 Year Member
If you're referring to articles that say aeration will deprive the plants of CO2, that applies to tanks where you're adding supplemental CO2 at levels beyond the natural equilibrium with CO2 in the air above the water. If you're not adding supplemental CO2, aeration can't reduce the dissolved CO2 (unless maybe if your tank is really crowded with fish, in which case you need that aeration anyway to keep fish from suffocating). If you have dense plants and few fish, then aeration will typically increase the CO2 available to the plants.

Also with regards to the bubble maker attachment on the filter, keep or remove? Reading up on the internet has me puzzled with contradicting views.
Cheers :)

apistopete

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the information guys.

Will take on board all what has been said and fingers crossed I can curtain the growth of the algae.

Thanks again

:)

Dano1311

also something worth noting is the age of light tubes, ive noticed once tubes get a year or so old they start producing less 'useful' light and algae starts forming.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….