• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ro unit, Rodi unit, how many stages

Captain Jim

Seriously impatient to get info on what unit neccesary to keep soft water apistos happy, healthy and willing to spawn. Research shows 2-stage to 6-stage with deionization and without; $125 to $500... I would like to be able to maintain two 55 gallon gallon ecos(or two 29's and a 55). I say impatient, but really just frustrated because I need to know which direction to go. All advice and suggestions welcome.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Personally, I have a 4-stage R/O unit: particulate filter, carbon filter, R/O membrane, and DI cartridge. I never ever used the DI chamber (left it empty). Your fish do not need 0 ppm water. Your R/O unit's output should be sufficient. Decide on how much R/O water you need per day/week and buy a unit that matches your needs.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree with Mike... unless you have a special need to remove silicates or other very small ions that may get through a membrane (reefers need this) a three-stage unit is all you need. I suggest buying as large a capacity unit as you can. A 25 gallon per day unit may cost $100 less than a 90 gpd unit, but the rate of flow is a lot slower. And you can always use an auto shutoff to stop production at 20 gallons. A year from now you may want 50 gpd...

Captain Jim

I agree with Mike... unless you have a special need to remove silicates or other very small ions that may get through a membrane (reefers need this) a three-stage unit is all you need. I suggest buying as large a capacity unit as you can. A 25 gallon per day unit may cost $100 less than a 90 gpd unit, but the rate of flow is a lot slower. And you can always use an auto shutoff to stop production at 20 gallons. A year from now you may want 50 gpd...
Okay, then... this sounds very reasonable and sane. While I decide which one (brand) to get-- I just bought a bag of peat that I intend to introduce to a ten gallon tank. My water is as follows: ph-8 kh-6 ppmgh/kh-7{is dk the same as ppmgk/dkh?} So... as an experiment I need to run about a cigarrette pack size piece(or bag) of peat through a filter into 10 gallon tank for a few days and test. How much should I expect ph and kh to drop? At this point, how far off am I to getting fish? (Apistos)? Thanks for your patience. Jim

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
First, I don't play 'chemistry set' with an aquarium with live fish in it. Some people do, but I don't know how they know the end results. I guess you could measure every day, but that is expensive. I modify my water in a separate tub/tank and mix it with tap water for the aquarium as change water. Your water from the tap is fine for many apistos. Many will even breed successfully in it, once the pH drops a bit. What species do you plan to keep?

Captain Jim

First, I don't play 'chemistry set' with an aquarium with live fish in it. Some people do, but I don't know how they know the end results. I guess you could measure every day, but that is expensive. I modify my water in a separate tub/tank and mix it with tap water for the aquarium as change water. Your water from the tap is fine for many apistos. Many will even breed successfully in it, once the pH drops a bit. What species do you plan to keep?
I agree 100% about the "play chemistry set" with any live thing Mike. I meant an empty 10 gallon so I could see results firsthand. That's very good news about possible matches. I like panduros and agassizi ,but I've looked at others. Borrelli, I beleive looks good. I think that's wrong spelling, but I'm trying to rush this off before I go to work. Hope you can be patient and help me out-- don't plan on carelessly killing anything. Thanks, Jim

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
While A. panduro will probably live in your tap water, they require softer and more acidic conditions for successful reproduction (usually). A. agassizii might breed in your tap water, too, but it depends on which form/population/strain/species you have. A. borellii would be an excellent choice - especially for such a small aquarium.

Captain Jim

That sounds like the direction to head in then,Mike. Sorry it took so long to respond. Ill begin cycling tanks this weekend and have at least a month to study and set up plans for feeding. Plan to use as much live food as I can. I'll have a29 gallon and a 55 gallon to stock. I still plan to get 3-stage RO unit and see if I can make envirenment more better. Ahem... I've liked agassizi since high school(40 years ago) but I'll prepare properly. Thank you very much. Jim

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….