• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Resetting up a tank

drudnick

5 Year Member
I am resetting up a tank, and have switched to using sand vs gravel. Never used sand before. So my question is, while I am waiting for it to settle should I be running the filter or should i wait for everything to settle and become clear again, and then start the filter again.

DH247

5 Year Member
I have found that with setting up a tank with sand that you can run the filter as long as there is no sand suspended in the water. Otherwise it will get into your pump and start making some hideous noises:eek: I would suggest that you remove the extension piece for your water intake so it sits higher in the tank. So, for whatever reason, if some sand is stirred up (like in a water change - I usually turn off my filter until the last bit goes in. That way you don't disturb the bottom too much and any extra stuff that I missed gets stirred up and grabbed by the filter) there is less chance of it making it's way into your filter pump.

As well just be sure you take some extra time to really clean your tank every week! Sand is wonderful, but she can be a hard mistress sometimes! :wink:

drudnick

5 Year Member
Yes, I have found out how fun it is in the rinsing portion of set up. I got some of that tahitian moon sand, and made quite the mess rinsing it. And even after rinsing it multiple times, it still managed to make a mess of the water. I am hoping everything settles and the water clears up soon. Been a day, not sure how long it will take.

but I have heard apistos love sand and should make for better tank in long run. So decided if i have to move thats best time to reset it up

DH247

5 Year Member
I've set up 2 tanks with the same substrate. It looks amazing once it's all set up! But do beware with it. It needs to be thoroughly rinsed beforehand! Even then it will leave your water cloudy after you set the tank up. I have no idea why, but it does. It did not seem to affect my fish in the first tank I had (cherry barbs and a couple of crawdaddies) and it cleared up in the course of a day or two. To prevent it I usually set up most of my plants and wood before I filled the tank up.

If anyone actually knows what's going on here please let us know!! :) I have read that it has to do with the water quality and it will clear once the water quality improves beyond some point. But I would be curious to know possible causes for this white cloudiness in water.

beleg

5 Year Member
Usually white cloud is bacterial bloom but when dealing with silicates i observed white cloudiness as well. The finer the grain the more cloudiness. I have read at a forum that it has something to do with soluble carbonates and very fine particles and will settle down and disappear as tanks change. It can be tested via a TDS meter but i dont have one.

drudnick

5 Year Member
been 2 days and its defintey clearer. just cant tell ifd its clear, or still has a sliight haze. i can see the granules perfectly, but there is a slight hue to the water

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….