• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Reducing RO waste

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
Hi all,

Thanks for your help on my question about RO and chloramines. I have questions about what configurations are sensible to reduce waste water.

I see two ways to reduce the amount of wastewater produced by the RO unit:
  • Using a booster pump. This is purported to reduce the waste ratio to approach 1:1.
  • Using two membranes in series. This is purported to reduce the waste roughly by half.
My questions are:
  1. If the water pressure is sufficiently high (> 60psi) is there still a benefit to using the booster pump? Is added pressure the only thing that reduces waste? And if so, what pressure is needed to approach a 1:1 ratio?
  2. If I connect two membranes in series and there is sufficient water pressure (> 60psi) would a booster pump reduce the waste further, or are there diminishing returns to combining these two methods?
I understand that both methods put a lot of load on the membranes (particularly the second membrane). Essentially what I'm trying to get at is whether it makes sense to get a booster pump, an additional membrane, or both.

Cheers

MacZ

If the water pressure is sufficiently high (> 60psi) is there still a benefit to using the booster pump? Is added pressure the only thing that reduces waste? And if so, what pressure is needed to approach a 1:1 ratio?
About 5-6 bar (80-90psi) is what I find recommended in my circles locally.

If I connect two membranes in series and there is sufficient water pressure (> 60psi) would a booster pump reduce the waste further, or are there diminishing returns to combining these two methods?
Depending on the membrane model you might need the pump just to get it through both membranes. So to a degree both together can make for the ideal result.

Apistoguy52

Psi will help produce more GPD ( I run my membrane at 200psi, and the gpd output is 3x the listed output), but the waste water ratio should remain somewhat static. If you’ve got fairly soft water to begin with, tightening up the restrictor on the waste water line will improve the ratio of product to waste ( at the risk of clogging the membrane at a faster rate if it isn’t flushed regularly)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….