• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rare Apisto(rositae) observation..!!

MickeM

5 Year Member
I just got a surprice I`d never thought I would ever see..
Absolutely the most odd place for an Apisto-female to keep her larvae / fry.. (yet)!!

As we know, Apisto females like to relocate their offspring when they notice that they start hatching ..
.. and often then, where it is quite dark.. (in a cave or beneath any tank-decoration..)
Since only half of my 50-60 liter tank has gravel/ sand on the bottom, the female (rositae) would not place the little ones directly on the glass bottom or under the root .. or in a coco shell..or under a rock..
... So obviously(!!?!!) she chose a floating plastic screw-cap from a deodorant that I put in the tank as protection for the former inhabitants.. fry of Epiplatys lamottei ...!!

The 4cm female can hardly seat herself inside the screw-cap ..!!!

As a result of her choise of position, she had obvious problems to manage to keep the small wriggling fry left in the screw-cap.. floating with the opening slanted downwards !!!

She acted like a brood-caring Betta male .. picking up the little ones in the mouth to spit them back into the screw-cap ... Absolutely amazing to see .. !!
I have now added several coco-caves as an alternative for her..
Just hope I did not scare her and the male so they fail with their task ..

/Micke

Last edited:

MickeM

5 Year Member
Yeah, it sounds amazing to see. Maybe we can see some photos or a video too. :D

I`m afraid not .. I was too late with the camera/phone..
The following morning she was still determined about her choise, but at the afternoon she had moved them to one of the new coco-caves placed at the bottom... beneath the floating screw-cap..
Maybe she got tired of the endless job (with the increasingly active and constantly falling larvae/fry..) ??

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
h1ns

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….