• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ramirezi

Teodor Macovei

Hello!
I need a hand sexing these 2 ramirezi. They were bought from my local petshop, both from the same tank labeled as Mikrogeophagus ramirezi.
In the first 2 photos is what I believe a female electric blue, of about 4cm in length. In the other 2 photos I think it's a male German blue of about 5cm in length.

ip7kMk.jpg

V24A7p.jpg

KqA3lZ.jpg

LoVl8j.jpg

Tph

the last two are mikrogeophagus ramirezi. there are is no blue inside the black spot, so it's safe to assume they are males.
not sure about the electric version.

Teodor Macovei

Thank you both for the confirmation.
deliriouz the difference is obvious in the dorsal spine, but are there any other "signs" to help sexing them out? I've read on various sites/forums but what I find valid on one is not valid on another and so on... For example the end of the dorsal spine and the anal fin is round in females and more pointed in males, or that in females the dorsal spine and the anal fin don't go further than the start of the tail, but in males do, but these rules are not always valid from what I've seen around. That's why I'm a bit confused, not that I'm hoping to have fry in the community tank, just for my curiosity.

deliriouz

I have got 4 pairs of electric blues breeding at the moment. Unlike the normal gbr, the 1st dorsal spine is consistently tall in the electrics. I find these easier to sex than gbrs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….