• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question on leaves in tank?

anewbie

I've always been curious about this but why use external oak or maple leaves as oppose to just cutting a few leaves off your plants and letting them decay ?

MacZ

Because green leaves contain a big amount of nutrients and minimal amounts of humic substances. Fallen leaves that a tree has shed contain little nutrients because the tree has extracted them from the leaves and in turn lots of humic substances, which we want in the water.

Adding just dried leaves will not bring the positive effects of humic substances, while the additional nutrients will pollute the water. It's fine to FEED dried, green leaves to shrimp or the like, but just adding them without having consumers eating them, only ruins water quality.

anewbie

Because green leaves contain a big amount of nutrients and minimal amounts of humic substances. Fallen leaves that a tree has shed contain little nutrients because the tree has extracted them from the leaves and in turn lots of humic substances, which we want in the water.

Adding just dried leaves will not bring the positive effects of humic substances, while the additional nutrients will pollute the water. It's fine to FEED dried, green leaves to shrimp or the like, but just adding them without having consumers eating them, only ruins water quality.
Well i don't add them per sey i let them fall off the plants and decay; but you seem to be suggesting it is better to remove them from the water instead of letting them decay in the water and then adding external leaves.

MacZ

Oh, you were talking of aquatic plants. I thought you meant like dried green leaves of walnut or mulberry that are used as shrimp food.

Yes, I suggest removing the dead leaves of aquatic plants, also because they contain nutrients that impact water quality negatively. Most aquatic plants don't retract nutrients like deciduous trees do. I lately had a die-off of the shaded lower leaves of my pennywort, the water quality deteriorated quite quickly.

Leaf litter is added for completely different purposes.

yukondog

5 Year Member
I've always been curious about this but why use external oak or maple leaves as oppose to just cutting a few leaves off your plants and letting them decay ?
I use the oak and in my case loquat leaves for cover more than anything, I use them because there stiffer than tank plant leaves, I dont need them for the water as mine [tap] is low PH and almost dead soft. Not sure if this is what your looking for but my thought on it.

MacZ

I dont need them for the water as mine [tap] is low PH and almost dead soft.
Actually, we kinda need to add tannins/humic substances in these conditions as they help our fish retain the little minerals and salts they get, against the osmotic pressure. Almost forgot to mention that. Also they stabilize the pH somewhat in that low range. Doesn't take much. But most people achieve this using peat as it works faster and stronger than just leaf litter. TomC mentioned it here.
I find the structural properties almost secondary.

Last edited:

yukondog

5 Year Member
Good to know, I have broken down leaf litter in most of my tanks in the form of maple leaves, they break down the fastest, I like the loquat and larger oak leaves more for structure and some seem to like breeding under a leaf than the hut's for the most part, but I do have some breeding pairs that will use the hut's over leaves.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….