• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question about A. Bitaeniata Mamuri

Venom

I have oportunity to get some of these Apistos but i have few questions about keeping them
Tank is 150L with only 6 corydoras julii now
How many of A. Bitaeniata can i keep in this tank (90x40x40) and i didnt find a ratio of males to females , so how many males or only 1 and how many females
And can the this apisto species be kept with some other Apisto species . Sorry for my bad English and thank you for help ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I making a wild guess that these 'A. bitaeniata Mamuri' are the same as other commercial imports listed under this name. Those fish are a Brazilian population of A. bitaeniata, probably from the lower Rio Mamore, a river that enters the Amazon west of the Rio Madiera. You don't tell us if you want to breed the fish or not. If you're interested in getting more than 1 or 2 fry, then I'd suggest setting it up as a breeding tank: complex structure with multiple territories separated by visual territorial boundary lines. A. bitaeniata is a harem spawner, so for your tank I would suggest only 1 male and 2, at most 3 females. Also you'll need to remove your corys and any other bottom dwellers. Also note that A. bitaeniata is a blackwater species that needs soft, moderately acid water to successfully reproduce.

Shane Puthuparambil

These fish come in very thin so make sure to have a solid source of small foods ready. My go to food is freshly hatched baby brine shrimp. I supplement with small terestrial worms such as grindal or white worms. Everything should be in moderation as to prevent bloat. BBS can be overfed, as it goes in and comes out quickly.

Additionally, heavy layer of mulm adds continuous supply of food for the entire day... they spend lots of time sifting through it.

Consider adding some leaf litter as well as some different types of caves. Coconut caves, pods (tanninaquatics.com), etc. should help make the fish more at home.

Hope that helps,
Shane

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….