• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Python siphen

P

purrfect16

We bought a python (think that's the brand) siphen for water changes for our 20 gallon tank. It hooks up to the faucet and tap water goes directly into the tank. This was fine when we started it up a week ago because we had time to declorinate it and all before we put the fish in. I'm curious if it's recommended for when we start water changes (third of the tank). The lady we bought it from said that straight tap water would be OK as long as we put Stress Coat in there as soon as we put it in the tank. I'm wondering if this will off set the water hardness, PH, etc. Our tap water PH is about 7.6 - which we're currently keeping the tank at. Would it be better just to fill up buckets and condition the water before putting it in?

aspen

5 Year Member
i think it depends on what your tapwater is like. when i do a 10% change with raw tap for my discus, i always see slime floating around, and they hide for an hour. now i store all of my change water, for my 3 tanks. but others just do straight tapwater changes with no ill effect. you can try it with smaller changes, but carefully observe your fish for signs of stress.

rick

farm41

5 Year Member
I'm using the python, and I do 50% water changes once a week. The fish seem to love it. Some come over and play right in the discharge. I'm on well water, so I don't have to worry about using a dechlorinater.

Eva32181

5 Year Member
I add Seachem's Prime straight to the tank before adding new water. This works fine for my regular tank, and should be fine for your purposes. But I'm starting a tapwater-aging system for my breeding tanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….