• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Please help to identify this Apistogramma

Silverwombat

Hello everyone.

I'm a Apistobeginner, so my knowledge about the different subspecies is very limited. A few days ago I ordered a few A. cacatuoides (female and male) at the local store.

After I recieved the ordered fish, one of them seems to be a different species. Can someone help me to identify this one (species and gender..if possible). I have my suspicions, but I'm not certain.

apisto12.jpg
apisto22.jpg

Silverwombat

Thank you for the answer.
It's about 4 cm (or around 5 cm with fin). Now the thing is, that I don't want to leave this guy alone and buy a few companions. I asked the shopguy, who seems to be a student part timer, if he has an idea what it could be and he only said the guy they ordered it from also breeds "panda dwarf cichlids". So my assumption was that this could be a nijsseni or a panduro. Though I thought, that panduro is a lineage of nijsseni.
But like I said I'm a bloody apisto-beginner, so maybe I'm confusing something.

Bart Hazes

A. panduro and nijsseni are distinct species that look relatively similar. I agree with Mike that it is very likely a (young) male. Panduro males tend to have the central part of the tail fin with a bluish colour, yellow for nijsseni so I guess that is what you have.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Or possibly A. sp Matses? It does appear to be one of the three species from east of the Ucayali. Time, maturity, and more diagnostic photos will tell.

allentwnguy

I would see if the shop would divulge the name of their supplier. If he's a hobby "breeder" he should be able to narrow the specie and perhaps can supply mates. Even if it is a different species at least you'll have a match. If they won't supply a name then maybe give them a picture to give to the breeder and he should know what he sent and get a match/mate that way.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….