• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Plants and Substrate

Ryandelmar

Looking at redesigning my apisto tank and I was planning on using fluval stratum as the substrate and get some basic beginner plants does anyone have any recommendations

MacZ

Yeah. Use sand instead of soil if you want to keep Apistogramma in that tank successfully.

Easy plants: Hydrocotyle, Ceratophyllum, Egeria, Elodea, Limnobium, Salvinia, Pistia, Vallisneria.

Ryandelmar

Should I cap the substrate with the sand then would that be a win win? And thank you I’ll have a look now

MacZ

Straight sand. With the plants I named you won't need root tabs. Most of them are floaters. Only the Vallisneria have to be planted in the substrate.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Looking at redesigning my apisto tank and I was planning on using fluval stratum as the substrate and get some basic beginner plants does anyone have any recommendations
I like <"plenty of moss">.

As my main plants I use are <"Ceratopteris spp., Cryptocoryne spp., Anubias barteri and Bolbitis heudelotii ">.

I also always have a floating plant, my personal favourite is "Amazon Frogbit" (Limnobium laevigatum), but Salvinia "auruculata" or Pistia stratiotes are as good.

cheers Darrel

Ryandelmar

Thank you both for your input I will look at getting some sand and plants over the weekend I already have some Java moss and Salvinia, will look into the crypts and do you think an Amazon sword would root well in sand?

SoundHunter

I use stratum in the back of the tank for my giant red flame sword, val and dwarf sag, some drift wood as a barrier and sand in front. The sag is always putting runners into the sand but I pull them out. My apistos readily breed in that tank, I’ve got some clay caves discretely tucked into the wood. The stratum can be a pain as it’s very light, stem plants need a little weight when starting from cuttings. But swords go nuts, I hit them with root tabs every month or so.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I think the plant species which Darrel and others recommended are good choices.
All the Echinodorus species(swords) will grow in very fine sand, 0.8mm-1/32" to 1.6 mm-1/16" particle sizes. This sand is sold at many building supply stores. If I use quartz sand with Echindorus I also use a substrate fertilizer near each specimen.
My preferred setup is utilitarian in nature. I actually pot Amazon swords in clear plastic storage containers filled with a quality plant substrate such as Fluval plant substrate and cover the bottom with a thin layer of the fine quartz sand. Apistogramma are sand sifters like their larger Geophagus cousins.
I like Ceratophyllum(Hornwort) as my floating plants since it doesn't root anyway and it is very adaptable. Najas guadelupensis is similar. I usually have some shrimp present in my planted tanks. I've never noticed any issues with keeping them with Apistos. They are colorful additions to the tank and are useful grazers which help eat foods missed by other fish.
I highly recommend that you feed Artemia nauplii everyday unless you have other live foods available.

Ryandelmar

I use stratum in the back of the tank for my giant red flame sword, val and dwarf sag, some drift wood as a barrier and sand in front. The sag is always putting runners into the sand but I pull them out. My apistos readily breed in that tank, I’ve got some clay caves discretely tucked into the wood. The stratum can be a pain as it’s very light, stem plants need a little weight when starting from cuttings. But swords go nuts, I hit them with root tabs every month or so.
Thank you for your input I’ll definitely take it on board

Mats

5 Year Member
Hi.
Foto on my tank`s, 2 foto scalare and apisto claer water Ph 6 and 2 apisto dark water Ph5,4-6. Tank 1 is subulata.
Mats

Attachments

• IMG_20211207_111919_4CS.jpg
    IMG_20211207_111919_4CS.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 143
  • IMG_20211207_112042.jpg
    IMG_20211207_112042.jpg
    627.3 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_20211207_112432.jpg
    IMG_20211207_112432.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_20211207_112607_1CS.jpg
    IMG_20211207_112607_1CS.jpg
    715 KB · Views: 134

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I am a big fan of dwarf Sag. subulata but in an Apistogramma breeding set up I'd probably go with more water logged leaves, eg. Indian Almond or Oak leaves.

JoseF

My favorite I used some vertical hardwood to anchor larger species of buchephelandra with super glue. Even used a piece of carved ebony anchored to slate. The plants closer to the surface and light did particularly well. I have at least one dwarf cryptocoryne in sand which is very slow growing. Also a dwarf water lily in a ebony container with sand The water lily periodically dies off some and regrows. Also have Anubis anchored to manzanita branches with are epoxy anchored to petrified wood.

Attachments

• C36AEF99-8B1F-4F07-A76C-750FD6BA61C3.jpeg
    C36AEF99-8B1F-4F07-A76C-750FD6BA61C3.jpeg
    619.9 KB · Views: 143
  • 79077011-24E9-4AD2-9BFB-0AEC4A5224A4.jpeg
    79077011-24E9-4AD2-9BFB-0AEC4A5224A4.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 140

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….