• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Plant pruning

apistopete

5 Year Member
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if there is a general rule of thumb for pruning the plants in my aquarium.

The background plants in my tank are really taking off and have reached the surface. My plan was to prune them and re-plant the off cuts in order to make it a lot more densely planted. However I fear pruning the plants wrongly may damage them.

Does anybody have some golden advice?

Much appreciated :)

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
The background plants in my tank are really taking off and have reached the surface. My plan was to prune them and re-plant the off cuts in order to make it a lot more densely planted. However I fear pruning the plants wrongly may damage them.
When you prune, just cut the stem just above a node (where the leaves branch from) the plant will re-grow bud in the axil of the leaf. Take the cut stem, remove some of the leaves from the basal end and then trim it so a node is at the bottom (like the image). Don't let the tips dry out at all When you've prepared the cuttings, push the cut tip into the substrates (I usually do it in 3's) and new roots will grow from the node.

cut_back.jpg

cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….