• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Picky panduros

Jholden

5 Year Member
About 2 weeks ago I received 4 very young A. panduros that I bought mail order. They are about 1/2" to 3/4" long, still very young. I ordered a trio and he sent me an extra. Anyway I can't get these things to eat anything but live BBS . In an effort to get them eating other foods I havent fed them any bbs in about a week and a half. the tank they are in is very seasoned so there is lots of micro organisms for them to graze on, plus I give it a shot of live daphnia every once in a while. These guys even spit the daphnia out! I've never seen a fish refuse daphnia. I have tried Frozen brine shrimp, frozen mosquito larvae, frozen daphnia, Cyclops, blood worms, golden pearls (orange crumbles) you name it.. most of the time they wont even look at it.. if they do try it they spit it right out.. I even use garlic guard on most of my foods to no avail. I thought about getting a white worm or grindal worm culture. they'd probably eat that but I don't think I want to mess with all that. I like to keep it simple. I do hatch bbs for my current spawns but I dont have the time to fill these larger fish up on bbs everyday.

I have found that if I leave some cyclops out over night soaked in garlic they have some interest in it and will eat a small amount but not much. The breeder has also told me that the only thing hes ever fed these fish is bbs.

I think they will eventually come around but they sure are finicky. They are a bit slim and I'd really like to start putting some size on them..

any advice would be greatly appreciated!

-Jay

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I'm sure they will come around eventually, can you get mosquito larvae?
I thought about getting a white worm or grindal worm culture. they'd probably eat that but I don't think I want to mess with all that.
I'd try Grindal worms, the cultures are incredibly low maintenance.
http://www.killi.co.uk/grindalworms.php & http://www.killi.co.uk/feeding.php

Is it possible that they are sucking the live Daphnia contents out and discarding the empty "shell"? some of my fish do this when they have a had a bit of a live food feast and have got a bit "picky".

cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….