• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Phosphate Pillow

jowens

5 Year Member
Hi guys,

Have any of you ever used phosphate pillows to control algae? I was considering using one for a day or two to see if I could give my plants a head start on outcompeting the algae that's become a persistent problem in my planted tank. From what I've read, phosphate is the key neutrient when it comes to plants outcompeting algae. It seems when phosphate levels become low in the tank, plants survive and algae dies. While I'm fairly confident this process would play itself out naturally over time, I was thinking that a pillow could speed it along. Agree?

aspen

5 Year Member
do you have a phosphate test kit? i like to maintain low phosphate and nitrate levels while the tank is getting rolling. if you are using co2 and high light, with a low fishload, it is possible that you already have 0 phosphates. check it first, before you go in that direction.

jmo, rick

farm41

5 Year Member
I have used the phosphate removers before, then bought a test kit and found that I didn't have excess to begin with. Now I buy phosphate and dose it 2-3 times a week. I use the Seachem phosphate test kit, it seems to work good for me.

I always stock a tank with an algae cleanup crew first, SAE's, Amano shrimp, ottocinclus, and a bristlenose or 2. I like to just use the small SAE's, I buy them at about 1.5-2" and trade them back when they get larger. That is my standard startup fish load. It seems to help me get things off to a good start. After things are rolling along the way I want, I just trade the fish back for something that I really want. Actually the only thing I trade back are the SAE's, I think the bristlenose are pretty cool and the otto's don't use hardly any room.

HTH

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….