1. Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Peruvian Biotope stocking suggestions?

Discussion in 'South American Biotope Aquariums' started by JimmyTheFish, Jan 22, 2019.

1. JimmyTheFish

JimmyTheFish New Member 5 Year Member

Hello from Australia!

I've set up a 450 L (120 gal) aquarium as a peruvian amazonian biotope. It's blackwater with fine river sand, driftwood, leaf litter, and a few Eichnodorus cordifolius with some Frogbit on the surface.

I'm keen to have a group of about 10 Peruvian Altum Angels (Pterophyllum scalare) and am looking for a mix of cichlds (most definitely some dwarfs), catfish and tetras that may suit the geography and make good tanks mates.

Happy for and would greatly appreciate any and all suggestions.

Many Thanks
  2. JimmyTheFish

JimmyTheFish New Member 5 Year Member

3. dw1305

dw1305 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Hi all,
    You will need a bit more cover at ground level for the dwarf cichlids, something to break up line of sight. You could use more Terminalia catappa leaves, but something more structural like <"Magnola grandiflora or Eriobotrya (Loquat) leaves"> would be better. You would probably need some more "caves" as well.

<"Apistogramma and Corydoras"> don't tend to be a very good mix, but there maybe other nocturnal catfish (Panaqolus spp.? or Tatia spp.) available to you that are a better fit.

Tetra's will need to be big enough not to become Angel food, so I might go with a deeper bodied species, I don't know which species are conspecific with Peruvian Pterophyllum.

cheers Darrel
  4. Drayden Farci

Drayden Farci Active Member

Bleeding Hearts are Peruvian and deep bodied. Hyphessobrycon margitae is another good shout if you can find them. There are a few species of Hatchetfish that are from Peru as well. Petitella georgiae might be a good shout, especially if you get the Angels started young so they are used to the tetras by the time they are big enough to eat them.