• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Panduro's vs. Nijsseni

J

jimmy

I really like how the these species look and im considering getting some. Can any one tell me some pro's and con's of each??? Any reccomendations would be apppreciated

Neil

jimmy,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Both fish are members of the same complex (Nijsenni complex) and share many characteristics. They both are very nice looking animals in both the female and male genders, which is not always the case with Apistogramma. Panduro males often have a triangular mark on the base of the caudal fin, whereas nijsenni have little or no marking (sometimes an oval caudal spot). Female panduro do not have quite as much "panda"-like markings, nor have I noticed the nijenni females' greenish imposing coloration on those marks. Both species females are variable in the size and placement of their markings (especially the panduro). They are very interesting fish!
Both, however, are also pretty aggressive fish and have to be managed fairly carefully in order to keep the sexes together. That said, they are not particularly difficult to breed, but many people do record difficulty with them.
They do not require extremes in water management or in values, but will give better results if they are kept in the low 6 pH range, little hardness, 78 - 80 degrees, and clean, regularly changed water. I support you getting ahold of either of these two fish. Good luck! Neil

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buthag

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….