• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

panduro eye problem??

kretz11

5 Year Member
this morning I noticed that my female panduro had crusty looking skin covering her eyes& some stringy goo stuff coming out of her gills. she has been fine up until now. I used seachem's acid buffer for the first time last night, but it didn't affect the male at all or any of the other fish in the other tanks i used it in.

Randall

5 Year Member
A. panduro

Dear Kretz,

Sorry to hear about your sick fish.

Did the symptoms start just after you used the acid buffer? What was the pH of the water, and what is it now, please? Your fish could be experiencing a severe case of acidity poisoning, if the pH change was drastic.

Randall Kohn

kretz11

5 Year Member
The pH went from about 6.5 to 5.5 in about 12 hours according to my crappy pH test kit. The crusty skin over her eyes is gone, but now her eyes are really blue. Also, the tips of her pectoral fins are white and appear to be Deteriorating.

Neil

Wow 8O , that is not good. Kind of does sound like acidic deterioration, but I don't know. How did you apply the Acid buffer?
Neil

kretz11

5 Year Member
i just poured half a teaspoon into the tank....making sure not to pour it directly on the fish. as soon as i poured it in the male and female hid in their pot. I probably should have mixed it in with a water change but i did a 100% the day before because my cat managed to bust the tank...about 9 gallons had poured out on the carpet when I found it in the morning. the fish were fine though.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Acid Buffer dosage is 1/4 tsp. pr 20 gallons daily until desired pH is reached. By adding 1/2 tsp to 10 gallons you quadrupled the dosage.

Neil

I'ld say that you've found a pretty good bet as to what your problem is. The reason the other fish weren't affected the same as the female panduro is probably that the material had not fully dispersed in the water and she swam into it or it into her. Apistos can handle a pretty large change in acidity (although not recommended), but they aren't going to like acid concentrate anywhere near them. It is always a good idea to either mix the solution in water before applying to the tank or, at least "swish" it around right after you apply.
She may be OK after she gets over the physical shock. It depends on how badly she was "burned".
Neil

kretz11

5 Year Member
my bottle says to "use 1 level teaspoon to every 20 gallons daily until intended pH is reached"

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:lol: Well MY bottle says to use 1/4 teaspoon per 20 gallons (and I just looked again to make sure). How old is your bottle? Is it dry or liquid?

kretz11

5 Year Member
i bought it the other day....it is little pink granules in a clear bottle with a green label and white top.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:)
I have the same bottle (by color description anyway). Mine says "To lower pH, use 2g (1/4 teaspoon) to every 80L (20 gallons) daily...." What is the the picture of on the front of your bottle? Is your bottle 'Discus Buffer'?

kretz11

5 Year Member
the label has plants with a couple of rainbowfish at the top and a rainbow cichlid at the bottom. the barcode is 0011602460. says it's 250 grams and treats 1600 gallons. it's not discus buffer.

kretz11

5 Year Member
the label has plants with a couple of rainbowfish at the top and a rainbow cichlid at the bottom. the barcode is 0011602460. says it's 250 grams and treats 1600 gallons. it's not discus buffer.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:?
You bottle must be an older bottle.. not that it matters. Mine has the same UPC code, but it is a 300 gram bottle that treats 3000 gallons, so it is more concentrated that yours.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….