• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Panduro/Agassizii Compatibility

Mozzulu

5 Year Member
Hello,

Would a Panduro pair be compatible with two Agassizii pairs or one Agassizii male + three females? My understanding is that a female Panduro in broodcare dress can be quite violent.

Tank is 90cmx45cmx45cm very heavily planted tank with about eight cave options and broken line of sight.

Thanks!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
IMHO the tank is too small. I'd choose either a trio (but not a quartet) of A. agassizii or the pair of A. panduro. Of course it all depends on how the tank is set up and how much experience you have with apistos. In a larger tank that is properly designed the 2 species are compatible.

Mozzulu

5 Year Member
IMHO the tank is too small. I'd choose either a trio (but not a quartet) of A. agassizii or the pair of A. panduro. Of course it all depends on how the tank is set up and how much experience you have with apistos. In a larger tank that is properly designed the 2 species are compatible.

Thanks for the reply.

In this case, I’ll stick with a quartet in this tank and setup the Panduro in their own 20 gallon.

Can I get by with these water parameters for Agassizii/Panduro breeding?

pH 6.2
KH 1.5
GH 2.5
TDS 160-180

Mozzulu

5 Year Member
It should be fine for both species. As for the agassizii quartet, expect trouble when 1 or more of the females bring out fry.

Thank you, Mike!

Once fry emerge, my plan is to re-home the female and brood to a smaller tank that can serve as a grow out later.

Out of curiosity though, what kind of trouble? Inter-/intra-sex aggression? Females trying to take out each other’s fry?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Typically a female's spawninng territory expands when fry appear. They also become very protective of the fry and more aggressive. Think what would happens when 2 or 3 brooding females try to expand their brood territories at the same time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….