• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pairs, Harems, or Singles: What method is best?

Levin Tilghman

5 Year Member
I seem to finding conflicting information about breeding various Apistogramma species. Some sources only recommend single pairs in their own aquarium, while others say that a harem with a single male and several females in a larger tank generally works well. Others say that it's best to remove the male and allow the female to raise the fry alone. Which method is best or is this species specific?

JasonC

5 Year Member
All are viable strategies... it all depends on the species you are breeding. Each have different levels of aggression. some like having several females available, while some form a strong pair bond. Thats one of the things that makes apistos so fun... each species is a new challenge to learn!

Jonathan Aquair

5 Year Member
Jason is correct.

There are many species of Apisto and therefor many breeding habits. Apistogrammae like A. Panduro & A. Nijensi will form life pairs; while others like A. Trifasciata have such violent males that a trio or more is needed.

But it all comes down to what you need. A breeding colony of 2-3 male Cacatuoides and 5-7 females is an amazing social tank, while a trio/pair will be much easier to: 1. get the fry out and 2. Control the genetics of the fry.

Personally, I prefer the colony set up. But it really is a pain in the butt to remove new fry.

Best of luck,
Jonathan A.

Samzter

I currently house 9 apisto agassizi. ( some will be removed when their sexes are a little more obvious) I'm hoping I will get a few spawns out of those and I believe this method may work. Sexes are 3m 6f. ( yes I Know there is too many "supposed" males. ;) ) a. Panduro are a good example of a apisto that forms a life pair. It all really depends what apisto you want

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apistokeeper

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….