• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Only 4 left

Kymmys442

Hi there!
I had added a post onto my hello one, but it probably wasnt the place for it. I had lost all my Apistos and the majority of my blued eyed rainbowfish. Out of 4 Yellowtail Furcatas, 4 Red Neon Blue Eyed Rainbowfish, 2 Macmasteri Apistos that were labeled Vietjita, and my Red Whiptail Cat, i only have 3 Rainbows and the Whiptail left. I believe the Rainbows are all 3 female. And my guess is,
20200803_102138.jpg
two female Yellowtails and one Red Neon Rainbowfish. Can anyone confirm this? Ive attached a couple pics. After moving these, and my Red Whiptail Cat, to my spare tank, they are thriving. I removed everything from the original tank and thoroughly washed everything in it. I set it up again, a few weeks ago, and i am expecting a pair of Alenquer Agassizii Apistos next week. Along with some Rust Cories and a few Endlers for the other tank. Im so excited, yet terrified that i will lose my Apistos again. Im really hoping that i fixed whatever issue there was. Water is testing perfect and has been cycling for several weeks. Here are a couple pics of my remaining Rainbows and my Red Whiptail, which are all thriving. If anyone could tell me if i am right or wrong in my assumption of what they are, id be most greatful. Thank you.
20200806_100441.jpg
20200806_100434.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The best piece of equipment you can get for a community or breeding tank is another quarantine tank. Quarantine ALL fish for at least 4 - 6 week, or longer if something doesn't look right, before adding any fish to an established tank.

Kymmys442

Thanks Mike. I just ordered a basic 20 gallon tank for quarantine a few days ago. My new Apistos and other fishies wont be here for at least a couple weeks, as the temperature is way above that of safe shipping temp for my area. What do you recommend for equipment in the quarantine tank? Filtration, aeration..ect. No substrate, decor, or things like that, correct?

yukondog

5 Year Member
I've never been a fan of bare tanks, I've done them before and dont care for them but you'll still need any cover the fish require, I use plastic plants, short pieces of pvc and ceramic decor, easy to sterilize and reuse. Good luck.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My standard quarantine tank needs to be easily sterilized. Therefore mine have a bare bottom, sponge filter, subdued lighting, and many pieces of pvc pipe for hiding places. If anything nasty gets into the tank I just pour in some bleach, wait a couple of days, rinse, repeat rinse, fill with conditioned water, re-inoculate the sponge from waste water from a healthy tank and it is ready to go again. It can also be used as a grow-out tank when not needed for quarantine, although I prefer substrate in grow-outs.

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
Mike, I’m about to receive a pair of apisto for my 10 gallon quarantine tank. In addition to the PVC pipe at the bottom, I have floating film canisters. Does this provide enough structure for the pair, or do they need defined territories?

Attachments

• 48973BCF-F0C4-4AB9-82D1-A7C02971A33B.jpeg
    48973BCF-F0C4-4AB9-82D1-A7C02971A33B.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 198

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
Here is the 20 long they will eventually go in. Just for the pair and 2-3 pencil fish.

Attachments

• 0C692AD1-1148-43E6-B3F5-C047D849B66B.jpeg
    0C692AD1-1148-43E6-B3F5-C047D849B66B.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 196

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Your quarantine 10 should work for 2 fish. The only difference between your quarantine tank and mine is that mine are bare bottom with hiding places (mostly PVC pipe) and other items (sponge filter, heater) that can be easily sterilized if needed. The only plants in them are some floaters that can be removed and destroyed.

Aquaticloch

to answer the question about the rainbows asked a long time ago, one is most certainly a p.luminatus male. they look more like males around their own species i find. The other 2 are p.frucatus females from what i can see in the photo.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….