• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

old male, young female?

rsa1

5 Year Member
New to all this. I'm keeping some A. Panduro. Had a spawn, but but only four females made it (at least I think they are all female). My males (two available) are starting to look a little tired and I'm not sure how much longer they are going to last. Question: How old/big do the females need to be before I could introduce one of my older males? The larger of the females are an honest inch long, the smallest more like 3/4 of an inch. They may actually be from two different spawns as the parents spawned twice very close together. Unfortunately I didn't keep very good notes, so I don't know exactly how old they are. I think the females are approaching five months. Thanks!

Randall

5 Year Member
Tired Apistos

Dear rsa,

How old are your males? They should be able to reproduce for some years before they're past their prime. If they're looking tired, perhaps a rest is in order?

After nine months or so, your young females should be sexually mature, but if only a small handful made it thus far, is something going on with their maintenance or diet?

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

rsa1

5 Year Member
young old

Randall, I only had a small number of the fry survive because they were spawned in a heavily planted community tank. I didn't give them (the fry) any special food (ie bbs), just what I normally fed the community tank and what ever the fry could pick from the tank (which is very healthy, lots of plant growth). Specifically trying to breed fish has not been my goal. I like to watch the courting and brooding activity. If a few fish survive, great, if not, oh well. Perhaps my priorities will change with time. As to my adult males looking tired, keep in mind that I'm a beginner. To me, they look like photos I have seen of "older" fish. The colors are starting to dull a little, they have developed a slightly "stockly" build. I think they are almost two years old. I had the impression that maximum life span for these fish is only 2-3 years? So, if you say sexual maturity is reached at 9 months, perhaps I should wait a while longer? My main concern about placing these fish in a tank together is that the much younger females might get bullied?
Thanks!

Randall

5 Year Member
Maturing A. panduro

Dear rsa,

Thanks for filling us in.

The Nijsseni-group apistos tend to darken with maturity, so perhaps your A. panduro males are simply reaching maturity and are "filling out" physically. It might not be a bad idea to wait until the females are a good nine months old before combining them with the older male(s).

Good luck with them.

Randall Kohn

Neil

rsal,
As with many apistos, the females mature faster than the males. Although it may take the males 9 months to be viable spawners (more likely 7), it is entirely likely that your females are ready now. Panduro is a fairly aggresive apisto, but if there is reasonable precautions taken, there is no reason to delay the addition of females to a breeding situation for much longer. I have had female panduro spawn at 4.5 months. The yield was not exceptional, but they tend to have no problems dealing with older males (once they spawn). The key is the males aggressiveness before spawning occurs. Heavy structure in the tank and several caves!
Neil

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….