• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

old apisto characteristic?

MikeNYC

5 Year Member
I have had a female Apisto Eliza for about 1 year and 3 months. My guess is that she is almost 2 years old now. She is looking a little frail and shimmies (or looks a bit wobbly) just a bit when she swims very slowly or hovers. The shimmying started probably 2-3 months ago. Is this normal for an aging Apisto? How long do they typically live for in captivity?

FYI - she still eats well, chases the other young female and shows good color. But, she definitely is not as full bodied as the 2 younger Apistos in my tank.

Thanks,

-Mike

blueblue

5 Year Member
In tank, i have kept a male eliza for about 3 years (the longest ever)...
i guess he's about 3.5 years old.
i have never kept an apisto for more than 3 years.

Aging is always a reality; apistos will get weaker and weaker when they are older and older, and all kinds of problems/sickness will appear...

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PGH Jeremy

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(