• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

odd mouth

Karin

5 Year Member
Hi all,

The mouth of my Nijsseni male is kind of odd. It looks like fighting some kind of infection. It looks like shedding skin. Is there any topic med that could help him or just cross fingers? He eats and seems normal for now.

Thanks all,

Attachments

• DSC04074.JPG
    DSC04074.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 346
  • DSC04080.JPG
    DSC04080.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 320
  • DSC04083.JPG
    DSC04083.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 321
  • WP_20151101_20_57_35_Pro.jpg
    WP_20151101_20_57_35_Pro.jpg
    380.5 KB · Views: 342

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi Karin+ all..

Is it maybe a result of fighting.. with the female that he took the fry from earlier???

As long as there is no fungus on it, the wound will probably heal by itself..(and that is also often a good indicator of an overall OK waterquality) ..Othervise you may need some kind of anti-fungus medicine..!!

Nice to see he is still protecting his fry..!!:)

gerald

5 Year Member
Could be (hopefully) a result of fighting, but it could also be an infection - maybe a treatable one and maybe not.
If you don't think it's from fighting, or it does not seem to be healing, then Kanamycin might help but its really a guessing game.
If the mouth & jaws can no longer close, like they are becoming paralyzed, then I would move him to his own hospital tank.

Karin

5 Year Member
Hi Micke! Hi Gerald! Thanks for replying... I am not sure if it is over fighting as I took the female out of the tank when she started to attack the fry... and the male attacked her in response. That was around two weeks ago. Anyway it was the onset of the male mouth problem, so it could be. Anyway I think it is not healing. I was wondering if I can take the fish out of the water and apply the medicine using a q-tip or so. Can I use kanamycin in that way? Otherwise, maybe I let things flow If the stress will be higher than the relieve.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….