• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

nutrients, plants and algae

Neil Groves

I am adding nutrients to my tank for the plants but in doing so I get algae growth, I am told to do water changes to keep nutrients and in turn algae down but then my plants aren't getting nutrients?

Neil.

Linus_Cello

5 Year Member
Someone who is a planted tank expert hopefully will address this better than I. First test your water out of the tap. It may be you already have too much phosphates in your water already, so the chemicals are really throwing the water chemistry out of whack. Second what chemicals are you adding? Maybe seachem excel for carbon may be better? Third what type of plants do you have? If crypts you may want to consider root tabs rather than liquid fertilizer.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I am adding nutrients to my tank for the plants but in doing so I get algae growth, I am told to do water changes to keep nutrients and in turn algae down but then my plants aren't getting nutrients?
Normally people add plant growth nutrients on a regular basis (every day or once a week etc) and then use water changes to stop the conductivity continually rising.

There is a technique of unlimited nutrient addition for planted aquariums, with high light and added CO2, called <"Estimative Index"> or "EI", which uses 50% water changes, it isn't very suitable for us, but people have adapted for low tech situations by using ~1/10 the full EI rate.

I use a different method for nutrient addition, where the health and colour of a floating plant is used as an indicator of nutrient status. I called it the <"Duckweed Index"> and it works really well.

cheers Darrel

gerald

5 Year Member
... and when the "science" doesn't work, there's always incantations, spells, prayer, voodoo ... Plants (and algae) are far more mysterious than fish, to me at least. Maybe because with fish you see the beneficial or harmful effects of anything you do pretty quickly, while plants "hide their feelings" awhile longer. But Darrel's Duckweed Index is definitely worth reading! BTW I dont use any ferts myself - I just let fish poop do the job.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….