1. Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not sure about these...

Discussion in 'Identification and Morphology' started by chromis, May 30, 2005.

1. chromis

chromis New Member 5 Year Member

Hi there

I have acquired a group of these fish and the guy in the shop told me they are Egyptian Mouthbrooders. Although they are in the same tank as the ones I recognised to be Egyptian Mouthbrooders, these are around 3 times the size and do not have any gold scales. Can anyone confirm what they are?

Thanks!
    chromis

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-3/978559/newfish.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-3/978559/newfish003.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-3/978559/newfish002.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-3/978559/newfish006.JPG
  2. _BaDgUy_

_BaDgUy_ New Member 5 Year Member

Thare are different species of Pseudocrenilabrus fish, commonly known as Egyptian mouthbrooders.

Seems to be the least colorful of them, Pseudocrenilabrus multicolor, but I'm not 100% sure of this.
  3. tjudy

tjudy Moderator Staff Member 5 Year Member

Do Pseudocrinalibrus species show the tilapia spot in the dorsal like these do? I think that they are a Tilapia of some sort.
  4. Fogelhund

Fogelhund Member 5 Year Member

It does appear to be a Tilapian of some variety. I'm not that good with Tilapian's though.
  5. chromis

I'm glad that someone said it might be Tilapia as I have thought of that the moment I saw them in the tank. Their spot is very conspicuous.

They seem to be very curious and are not nervous at all. Their hue changes depending on their mood from pale silver with the spot very prominent to the dark grey/green markings. I think the dark colour signify that they are more dominant and comfortable. At the moment they are around 2" excluding the tail. Also their heads aren't as big (in proportion to their bodies) as Egyptian Mouthbrooders which led me to believe that they are not what they have been labelled.
  6. chromis

Anyone have any info on the ID of these fish?
  7. chromis

Well, it appears tonight that a pair have spawned. :eek: I can now see a definite female from the group holding eggs. Still not sure of what kind of fish these are though.
  8. chromis

9. mbhw

mbhw Guest

Tilapia

Oreochromis sp.

It's hard to say at that size, they remind me of my old Niloticus, they could also be Mossambicus, or aurea. Either way, I hope you have a big tank!
  10. Randall

Randall Active Member 5 Year Member

Oreochromis sp.

Hello Chromis,

They resemble an Oreochromis sp. to me too. Like mbhw suggests, however, it's difficult to know which species.

A bathtub is more like it!

Good luck!

Randall Kohn